question on homemade incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stoutsfarm, Aug 14, 2011.

1. stoutsfarm

stoutsfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2011
    alamance county n.c.
    I built a homemade incubator out of 1" thick oak boards and it worked out perfect, glass on top and all. Fired it up yesterday and temps seem to be holding very well, 98.5-101.4, but the light bulb cycles on and off about every 21/2 to 3 mins. Wonder if i need to insulate or is this about normal? I was just wondering i just don't want to wear a light bulb out in the middle of a hatch. thanks for your help. haven't figured out the picture thing yet or i would post a pic

2. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Mine cycles faster than this. On 1-9 seconds, then off 1-38 sec. Holding at 99 -100 degrees.
    I used a WHT unmodified, modified WHT work even better according to others. I placed the WHT about 2 inches from the lightbulb silver side facing bulb. Too some adjusting to get to consistant readings. GL, and keep trying; took me 2 days to get the setting right.

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

With wood that thick you have all the insulation you need an are probably losing almost all your heat threw the vents an almost non threw the wood. You must have the vents so this is as good as it gets.
    If you haven't already, read an watch the bottom video here. http://cmfarm.us/WHTincubator.html

4. stoutsfarm

stoutsfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2011
    alamance county n.c.
    thanks rebel cowboy, i watched your video (followed your directions) thats how i got this far, btw thank you for putting up such good information to strangers. i modified the wht to your specs and it works great, i was just wondering what is your failure rate on the bulbs? i think it would be best to change them after every hatch, but do you have much trouble with them going in the middle of a hatch? was also wondering if i need to get a splitter and put say a 40 and a 60 w bulb instead of 1 100w for protection should one go out in the middle of the night?

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

It wont hurt them if the bulb blows in the middle of the night. Just replace it an keep going. Up to about 24 hours cold then you start seeing losses. Shorter time is better but don't worry about a few hours here an there.

Going cold at hatch time is more of an issue though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by