Question on how much room is enough.....

Discussion in 'Quail' started by kbell, Sep 28, 2012.

1. kbell

kbell Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2010
    Chickamauga GA
    Ok Button Quail people, got a question......I only have 4 buttons and was trying to figure out what to keep them in. I have read to keep them in pairs, then I read you can keep them in colonies as long as you have a lot of room for them. How much is a lot of room? I thought about a huge aquarium. I want to make it like outside for them with grass and twigs. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

2. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    each pair should have its own place but if you really want to have them in a joint/shared cage i would use at the smallest a 30 inch wide by 18 inch deep, with a low roof and with lots of hiding places. I would not use an aquarium because the ammonia vapors from poop can build up rather quickly and effect the birds breathing even leading to death. It is okay if you are going to do a complete cleaning at least ever other day...removing everything and rinsing out the aquarium and replacing all the bedding.
    Do you know if you have 2 males and 2 females? if so you can even get a half flight cage, made for finches, and use the divider and just decorate it so they cannot see each other and fight. I guess it depends on why you are keeping them in the first place? Are you planning on raising chicks? or are they just 'pets"?

3. kbell

Oct 29, 2010
    Chickamauga GA
    Thanks for the info, I wondered about that in an aquarium. I know I have a pair because they gave us fertile egggs and thats how I got one more. Then I bought some eggs and only one hatched out so now I have another one so the last 2, I am not sure of the sex. I want them to be in the house in a easy to take care of area. They are just pets. They are some crazy little birds. I go into the one cage to change it's water and it goes crazy. Is there any way to calm them and tame them down?
    On the cage you mentioned, do you know where to buy them? Thanks so much for your time,Kim

4. GrandmaBird

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    I would not try to "tame" them. They will get used to you changing the water and food, the female comes running when she sees the red dish I give them treats in everyday, but mine still pace when I clean the cage. I was lucky and someone gave me this cage but I have I have seen them online it is just a half tall finch flight cage. I think the exact dimensions are 18 deep 36 wide and 18 high. Here is a photo:

[​IMG]

Here is a full size one:

[​IMG]

I had wooden dowels with plexi glass in the middle to make it two levels tall but you get the idea. I never used the top level, also had screening to keep them from hitting their heads. These were the only chicks I raised this year, 7 of them and I sold them all to one person for his mating stock. I was sad to see them go but glad at the same time they are a bit of work with cleaning and all everyday. so good luck with yours and enjoy!

5. GrandmaBird

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
  6. gorabbitgo

gorabbitgo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2012
    If you want your pairs in the same area, you could always get two cages and stack them. I originally had five females and a male in a 38" x 18" pen, but my male chose a mate and his female does not like to see other quail. So i went to Goodwill and found an extra-large guinea pig cage with a deep tub bottom and narrow bars that was perfect. The pair has about 1/2 to 2/3rds the space of the old pen. Plus, the new cage fits perfectly on top of the old pen, so i increased my quail space without taking up any more floor space!

7. kbell

Oct 29, 2010
    Chickamauga GA
    Thanks everyone, got some good ideas and now to put them in action. I will post pictures when I get it fixed. Thanks,Kim [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by