question on humidity

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by adorable, May 23, 2010.

1. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    Right now the weather is getting hotter and muggy. So the humidity is going up. SO is the humidity in the bator. THis is the first week for the eggs in there. And already the humidity is at 53%. Is that to high for the first week. ?//I am worried about chick drowning.Can someone explain this to me.

2. novaman

novaman Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    Are the water trays empty? Vent plug(s) open?

3. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    vent plugs open . But water in the tray.I am not going dry.

4. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Do what you need to, to get the humity to 35% on day 16 up it to 55%, on day 19 til the end put it at 65%.
    If that means only a little water in the tray then that's what you do. The amount of water is not what's important the percentage of humidity is.

All the best
    Rancher

5. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    thanks. I am fighting with it. I dumped some water i have just a little in the bottom of the tray. When i open it . It goes down to 40 % when i put the tray back in. Before you know it starts to climb.Which weak is it to watch the air sack is to small.? I dont want to much water and have the chick drown later.
    I like to ad here. I thought it isnt the depth of the water in the tray , it is the spread of the water that increases the humidity. ?Or am i wrong on this?[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  6. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    It was up to 50% again. In the my house it is over 50% right now. So i took out the tray completely. I will wait an hour and see where it is at. Will it hurt them staying at 50%???I really need to know.

7. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I run closer to 35% for the first two weeks, but I was reading a thread the other day where he had kept track of what was going on under a broody hen and it ran 50-55% under her all the way thru. He started doing that with his bator and had good luck that way. [​IMG]

8. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:These percentages are according to an article in Practical Poulty magazine. Not my own. I did follow them and things went ok I guess. There are however differing opinions about these things and I always recommend choosing one you like and that works for you and stick to that.
    It really doesn't matter what we'all think it's what works for you.

All the best

Rancher

9. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    Quote:HMMMM.I am not to sure what to do here. I just checked it ,,,It is at 38% with no water in it. Should i add the water to go to 53%,that is where it stays. Or should i leave it out. Need more suggestions

10. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    If it was me I'd leave it and bring the humidity up in a week or two. Like rancher said though, there are huge differences in what humidity levels work best for people so it's a bit of a process to find what works best for you and your local conditions. It's just not a one size fits all kind of thing, what works well in AZ would probably be a disaster in LA and what I do here in the PNW might not be ideal for you. It might take a few hatches to figure out what is optimal for you, but honestly as long as you're not running over 55-60% constantly the first couple of weeks I don't think you'll drown the lot of them or anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by