Question on insulation and roofing

fastEddie

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 10, 2009
So we live in southwest Ohio where it can get below 0 in the winter and up to the upper 90's in the summer (with ~90% humidity as well).

I'm trying to finalize my coop design and I've currently got 1/2" T1-11 exterior sheathing with fiberglass insulation and luan or showerboard planned on the inside. Do I really need the insulation and inside boarding? What about the roof, I was thinking of the PVC/polycarbonate panels at Lowes/Home Depot but I can't see them doing much to keep heat in during the winter, but again how big of a concern is this? The coop will be located where I could run an extension cord out to it in the winter if necessary for a heat lamp or something.

Thanks!

I think you will be ok with no more insulation from inside as long as the coop is draft free, chicken can tolerate the cold, but the wind and the wet coop what kill them.

I wouldnt use the poly just because it dont last long i would just go ahead and shingle it and put a light in the house and forget about it as far as insulation i dont see the need i live in va and it gets cold here also and i havent had any problems and i dont have insulation i would suggest putting a ceiling in it though that will help hold heat in

Hi, I lived in Oxford OH for a couple years so I know the climate you're talking about. You won't regret insulating the walls, although technically well-chosen chicken breeds could survive without.

I'd *highly* recommend insulating the roof, though. Several reasons. First, if you are going to use thin plastic or metal roofing, you will have a real bad condensation problem (which humidifies the coop and diminishes the value of your ventilation) if you do not insulate it. Second, you are right, that's wehre all the heat will go out
tongue.png
And third, even if you are contemplating perhaps running a heat lamp, you will spend way less on the electricity if more of the heat can be encouraged to stay IN the coop! So I would actually consider insulating the roof to be less optional than insulating the walls (mainly b/c of condensation). Use rigid foamboard panels.

Make sure you have sufficient ventilation that will be usable in wintertime, too.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Have you ever worn a down coat? Have you ever stood in a group of people wearing down coats?

Chicken's are heat making machines. So long as theyre out of the wind and wet they'll do fine.

If you're terribly concerned about them put in extra nesting boxes and they'll nest instead of roost when cold.

We use those polycarbonate panels and love them! Theyre so cheap you could probably get white ones for summer use, and then buy some black ones, or the darkest you can find, for winter. That way the roof will either absorb or reflect the most heat possible.

if you really want to use the poly or metal roofing i would sheath it with OSB first to prevent the condensation issue. you could insulate after that is you want to. if you insulate the poly or metal roofing alone you will need to use insulation baffles to allow air between the roofing and insulation. considering where you are i see no negatives to insulating the coop.

Back
Top Bottom