Question on last eggs: was 12 Perfect little chicks!

mediazeal

Songster
10 Years
Feb 26, 2009
Question added on page 2. New pics coming of all 12 later today.
My first hatch is underway. At 2 she pipped and by 6:30 she was out of the shell and flopping her way around the incubator. She's been sitting on top of the only other egg that has pipped so far (they are actually due tomorrow morning). I'm sure it is talking to her some. Here is the best pic I could get of her in the incubator. She is a golden penciled hamburg.

chunkymonkey.jpg

Last edited:
Precious...they looks so helplessly cute still damp like that and learning their way around. Makes you go aaaaaawwwwww
big_smile.png

Thanks folks. She's been in there by herself for 9 hours now. Two more have pipped but not much progress.

Is it normal for her to sleep for long periods? She was really active at first. But she's calmed down and is sleeping on top of the other eggs. (it's 3am) I turned the lights back on (she had a nightlight before) and she woke up some, climbed around to the other side of the incubator; and now back to sleep. But for an only chick in there I'm surprised at how good she is being.

I'm of course worried she is too hot, or needs water, or... you know

I've cracked open the incubator to replace the sponge (tiny angle up, no drop in humidity when I do it and it goes up immediately because I've added a fresh sponge) and keep the humidity up. Should I pluck her out of there next time or let her stay for the duration?

brand new chicken momma here
no idea what I am doing
you guys have been so wonderful to learn from!!!!!

Seems like baby chicks do spend a lot of time flopped down resting the first day.

Can you drip water onto the sponge through one of the vent holes using a straw? That way you can avoid opening the bator.

Best wishes & keep us posted!!
caf.gif
fl.gif

3 little golden penciled hamburgs have hatched out and look great!
I see pips on two more (barnevelders)
Today is really day 21

16 eggs, 3 hatched, 2 pipped
hard to take pics that you can see in the incubator but will take tons when they get to the brooder.

thanks for the encouragement!

Yippee! Hatching eggs! Congrats on your new babies, and good luck with the rest of your hatch!

6 perfect little babies.
3 Barnevelders
3 Golden Penciled Hamburgs

They are all still in the incubator. Seem to be hatching fairly fast from pip to out of the egg. Not getting stuck.
The ones that hatched last night and early this morning are getting hungry and thirsty. They are pecking at the new ones that hatch and they follow me around the edges of the incubator.

I'd love to get them out of there but there are at least 6 more eggs that were good on day 18 and 2 maybes and 2 long shots (16 eggs total)
No one else is pipped right now and teh humidity is stable and comes back up really fast with a sponge added.........

Any chance you will all let me nab them out of there?
Or is it the STEP AWAY FROM THE INCUBATOR...
I will obey, but if you think it is ok to nab them fast
one has been hatched for 24 hours now and s/he's pecking everyone.

This is so freaking COOL!
I'm so happy they are all healthy.

Back
Top Bottom