question on lockdown

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by goldeneggtees, Dec 8, 2009.

1. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Hi, I have a broody hen ready to hatch (up to three shipped fertile b/o eggs) this coming Sunday according to my calculations. This is my questionÂ… I've been taking her off nest to poop and eat a little and stretch as she does not get up on her own. Is there a day when I should stop doing this and leave her sitting until the three hopefully hatch? Please advise. I'm so new to this! [​IMG]

ALSO!!!!! I went out this morning and some were out from under her body and were cold to the touch, I candled these and see dark areas in them, should I put them back? It got to around freezing last night! HELP!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  2. goldeneggtees

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Hi, can anyone offer advice???? [​IMG]

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Yea I would put it back an I dont think I would be taking her off the nest, she knows what to do.

4. goldeneggtees

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    in your opinion, was twelve eggs to many eggs to sit on for a first time broody?

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

If you ever see a egg sticking out then its to much. 12 sounds like a lot to me.

6. goldeneggtees

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    That stinks, no one advised me of that. Yes, I have seen them sticking out, I'm sad. [​IMG] I should have known!

7. Bizzybirdy

Bizzybirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    North of Nashville
    Don't take your hen off her nest. She will get up on her own if/when she needs to. I have had hens sit/hatch out as many as 14 chicks, but these were old pro's and in the warmer months. Can you hang a brooder lamp near her (not too close) until hatch?

Hope you have a good hatch. [​IMG]

By the way, I grew up on Long Island! Freeport and St. James. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  8. goldeneggtees

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    When I do take her off, she has explosive poops, so I thought I was doing good, someone else advised me to do this, otherwise I wouldn't have. St. James is not too far away from where I am which is Greenlawn. I grew up in Merrick so know Freeport fairly well too.

I really hope she's successful. She's been broody for too long and needs little chickies asap!

9. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I'd suggest that at this point, just leave her be....Whatever is too much or a "bad" egg, she'll push aside....

I wouldn't candle or handle the eggs anymore....At this point, she might become disinterested if you keep "helping her".....

Don't worry if you gave her a few extra eggs.

Praying and hoping for some happy and blessed hatching for you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by