question on lockdown

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mrsfoote, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    So heres a question on what day number do the chicken eggs go into lockdown.

2. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

They will go into lockdown on the 18th day.

3. Mrsfoote

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    Okay thats what I thought but a friend of mine confused me.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    A lot of people get confused on this. A couple of things that help me remember.

If you put chicken eggs in an incubator or under a broody, the day of the week you set them is the day they should hatch. If you set them on a Sunday, they should hatch on a Sunday.

An egg does not have 24 hours worth of development one second after you put it in the incubator. It needs to be in the incubator 24 hours before it has 24 hours worth of development. I don't like the terminolgy of Day 1, Day 18, whatever. To me, intuitively Day 1 should be the day I put it in the incubator, but that is not correct. Day 1 is when it has had 24 hours of development. Day 18 is when it has 18 days worth of development, not 17 days and 1 second.

Hatching is not an instantaneous process. It can take several hours from pip to zip to hatch. And a few things can affect the hatch date. If the incubator is a little warm, hatch can be early. If it is a little cool hatch can be late, sometimes by a few days. Some chicks hatch early or late due to genetics. Some incubators have cool or warm spots, so development can vary a bit. Smaller eggs for a specific breed tend to hatch a bit earlier than larger eggs. If everything is ideal and perfect, then the egg should hatch after 21 days, but everything is not always ideal and perfect for each and every egg.

Lockdown is not an exact science. If you are off a few hours it will probably not make any difference at all. I still think it is just good practice to aim for the correct time. Due to an incubator running a little warm, I had an egg pipping when I went into lockdown. I still got a pretty good hatch.

5. Mrsfoote

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    Why thankyou Ridgerunner that was very helpful...by any chance you hatched marans before any tips on that....

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    No, no Marans for me. I have mostly mutts now but you can see the parent breeds in my signature.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by