1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question on lockdown

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WDFlock2015, Feb 23, 2015.

1. WDFlock2015

WDFlock2015 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2014
    I have a good size rosewood incubator with 4 drawers. Can I feasibly have 1 or 2 drawers on lockdown but continue to turn others on a different tray that are on a different schedule, or is lockdown a strict "do not disturb" procedure?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    To me---I will break someones arm(not really) for opening my incubator from day 18 to they hatch---usually by day 21. If you had automatic turners for the other eggs so you did not have to open during the lock-down you would be better off in my opinion. Having Had extreemely bad luck opening during Lock-down years back----I would put the 18 day old eggs in another incubator/hatcher for the hatch. Your Mileage could vary!

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Some people do a staggered hatch in those multi-drawer bators. But, I don't know how well they are able to handle the differing humidity needs. Let's hear it from the experts! I'd not try that until I was an accomplished hatcher, and had a batch of eggs that weren't that valuable to me. I like Riverman's advice about a separate hatching bator. That keeps the mess out of the other one.

4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    For Sure some true words here----I had my Big incubator running 24/7 for 8 months---never even wipped it out---incubated around 2500+ eggs so far---its as clean as new. OOPs I forgot, one bad egg did "spew" a dime size spot on the floor one time---I did clean that spot.

5. WDFlock2015

WDFlock2015 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2014
    Thanks for all the replies. I figured out how to solve my problem though. I have a styrofoam incubator that can handle the 2 small orders I've got while my regular hatch is in lockdown. I hadn't considered the differing humidity needs, and don't want to mess with that.

Again, thanks all for the replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by