Question on Missing Feathers around Neck

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chemew, Nov 17, 2011.

1. chemew

chemew Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2011
    Please take a look at the below picture. I noticed today several feathers around the hen's neck are missing. I looked closer and didn't see any lice/mites nor did I see any blood. The plastic tubes are still attached and have bits of feather poking out the top. Is this just the way new feathers are grown or does it look like they are being pecked out by other chickens? The hen is a buckeye and relatively young - she's just now starting to fill out.

[​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello! Do you have a rooster? They often grab a hen there to hold them still for mating, and sometimes they pull out their feathers....

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    They look like plastic tubes, but they're not. They're feather quills. New feathers growing in are encased in these white, papery like sheaths. It's part of the natural molting process that chickens go through this time of year.

4. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Thats the tail end of molting. I got at least 6 in different stages and throws of molt,with a RIR looking vastly similar to yours. Got a BR that doesn't even look like a chicken,she kind of looks like those 2 legged walking things in Star Wars; Empire Strikes Back.

5. chemew

chemew Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2011
    Thanks to everyone for the replies. She's looking worse down as it seems this is molting. From what I've read, I had thought hens would molt later in their life but not the their first winter. Anyway, thanks again.

6. annep

annep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    She looks just like my rir. This is their first winter too...

7. Leah S

Leah S Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Quote:HAHAHAHAHA!! I have an EE that looked just pitiful until recently! poor things

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by