Question on mixing feed.

lottastuff9

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 3, 2010
I am thinking about mixing 50/50 Nutrena Gamebird Feed and Purina Flockraiser for my flock of birds( 2-13 wk BCM, 5-11 wk EE, and 5-11 wk BA). From my calculations it should average about 21 % protein which I think is a good mix. Does anyone see any potential pitfalls in my plan?
roll.png

What is the Protein percentage of the Nutrena Gamebird Feed and Purina Flockraiser?

Chris

Flockraiser is 20% and Nutrena Gamebird is 22%. I looked into getting fish meal and a 50# bag is 45.00
ep.gif
and a smaller bag is not available so I am looking into Gamebird for the animal protein.

Quote:
My question would be "Why?" The Flockraiser would be sufficient.

He/she wants to add animal protein, which the Flockraiser does not contain, but gamebird does.

That's why my question, why is it necessary to go to the added expense of adding animal protein? The protein in the flockraiser is not only cheaper but will work as well--has for a long time--and by mixing the two you'd only increase the amount by 5 lbs per 50 anyway.

Quote:
The protein in the flockraiser is not only cheaper

Yes the protein Flock Raiser is cheaper it is soy based that's why it is cheaper

but will work as well

That is not all that true. Chickens are Omnivores they need meat in there diet even if they fee range. Flock Raiser has no animal protein or animal fat.

and by mixing the two you'd only increase the amount by 5 lbs per 50 anyway.

I'm not too sure what you mean here but if the OP mixes 50 lbs Nutrena Gamebird Feed and 50 lbs Flock Raiser they would a 100 lbs of feed that is around 21% protein.

Now to the OP,
If it was me I would do away with the Flock Raiser and feed the Nutrena Gamebird Feed. You would get the animal protein that you want and will be feed what I think is a better feed.

Chris​

Oops left out the decimal point--not a good thing for a retired math teacher. But 50 pounds of 20% protein means 10 pounds of protein, 50 pounds of 22% protein means 11 pounds,so 50 pounds of 21% protein means 10.5 pounds--you gain 0.5 pound by mixing. Over the course of time, this isn't a real advantage considering the extra cost.

Quote:
Yes she would only gain a 1/2 percent of protein per 100 lbs of feed but they would be getting the added benefits of feeding a feed that has animal protein in it.

Where I live at in Ohio Flock Raiser runs around $20.00 a 50 lb bag and I can a 50 lb bag of Kent High Flyer 28 (a 28% Game Bird Feed) for $14.75 and the Kent High Flyer has Fish Meal as a third ingredient. With the added protein I able to feed more "treats" as in the 14% protein pigeon feed I use as a scratch...

Chris

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom