Question on momma hen with one chick...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Garden Gal, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Garden Gal

Garden Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Virginia
    This is my first experience with having had a broody hen. One of my hens hatched a single egg on Dec. 16th. I've had mom and chick in the brooder inside the coop, next to the rest of the flock so everyone can still see each other, hoping this will help when the hen is reintroduced to the flock. This morning I went out to check on everyone and the momma had laid an egg in the brooder, the first since she went broody. If there were more than one chick, I would probably go ahead and put mom back with the flock, but am not sure what to do in this case. The baby is only 12 days old... what should I do?? Many thanks! [​IMG]

2. Jimmiaandboys

Jimmiaandboys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Bennington County, VT
    Hi Garden Gal,

Sounds like you had an early Christmas present, too! We had a singleton hatched during an arctic blast on 12/12, I panicked and brooded the chick inside and momma moved to the next box over and continued brooding over others' eggs. She's moved twice (nothing developed long enough to hatch) since but is still broody. About the chick, we acquired 4 chicks to brood with the orp. chick.

I'm very interested in knowing what the experienced BYCers recommend. Broodies are an asset when you want to hatch chicks but what do you do and when to step in?

Best,

Mia

3. Garden Gal

Garden Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Virginia
    Anyone??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by