Question on moving Pullets outise to Coop

hawcreek chicks

In the Brooder
Feb 1, 2017
Hello All,

I am first time chicken owner and have read this site extensively.

I got my chicks at 2 days old and they are 2.5 months and ready to outside, permanently. I've read that you need to keep them locked up in their coop for 3-4 days so they know to come back. Here is my question. When it is said you need to keep them in the coop, does that mean locked in the house part (which is pretty small and seems cruel) or does it mean they need to be locked in the coop/run area 'complex'? I have one of those Tractor Supply coops that has a run attached. My backyard is huge, but not fenced in so although I'd like them to free range, I don't think it's advised.

Thanks in advance.

I left mine inside the coop for six days and have never had a "roosting outside the coop" issue. Ever. : )

Be sure you protect the coop from underneath. I predator can just pick up the small Tractor Supply coops and scoot under. Raccoons work together to do this. I have a main coop and a mini T.S. coop - I have a solid wood base for it - built, not bought. I screwed down hardware cloth (the only thing that keeps predators out) and then linoleum on top for happy feet and easy cleaning. Then I poured in the sand. Have yet to have an issue. Year two. Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks. that's my question. What do you mean by "Coop"? Is that the house and attached run, or do I just lock them up in the 'house' part. i.e, no outdoor access?

I think after one or two nights inside, they can be allowed to venture into the attached run, just make sure they know how to get back in.

Last edited:
I think after one or two nights inside, they can be allowed to venture into the attached run, just make sure they know how to get back in.

Thanks. Just to dummy-proof myself. You mean to keep them locked up inside continuously for 48 hrs? The interior seems pretty small to me and I am planning on keeping the food and water in the run, not the house.

How many are there? If there isn't room inside, just put them in for the first night, then let them find their own way out next day. Here are mine on their first look outside...they didn't all go tumbling out, they were cautious.

Last edited:
How many are there? If there isn't room inside, just put them in for the first night, then let them find their own way out next day. Here are mine on their first look outside...they didn't all go tumbling out, they were cautious.

Awww, beautiful girls! 5, 3 australops and 2 easter eggers. We were planning on only having 4, long story. They fit, just not a place to go other than to bed down for the night. :)

Well, since there are 5, it will be okay to let them out right away. Just make sure they all understand how to get back up the ramp, maybe w treats, and make sure they go in every evening without fail, even if you have to pick them up and put them in yourself.

Last edited:
If they're in a closed run during the day and you don't mind helping them find the roosts in the evening I don't see any problem letting them in the run from the first day, but that's just been my personal experience. My first chicks got the point almost immediately. My new chicks I had to physically put them back in the coop every evening for the first 7 days and by the 8th evening they all put themselves back. I couldn't bear to keep them locked into the coop, it didn't seem very nice.

Back
Top Bottom