Question on nail trimming

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by SDpeafowl, Mar 18, 2012.

1. SDpeafowl

SDpeafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Dakota
    I went out to go trim the nails on one of my hens and when I went out to catch her the nail on the toe in the back of the foot fell off. It was hollow on the inside and all that was left was a little stub. Is there anything I should do?

2. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    I've never had that happen before to any of my Peafowl, but when one of my Guineas rips a nail off I clean it with a disinfectant then when it's dry I coat it with super glue to give it a protective layer (and to keep all the gunk/dirt/germs out of it). You can then dip it in dry baking soda to make the glue set instantly so you and the bird aren't covered in wet super glue. (You could also use surgical glue from a vet, if you are worried about the super glue being toxic, but I've never had any issues with regular ol' super glue... I even use it on myself to seal any cuts that are in places that are hard to cover or keep covered with a bandaid).

3. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    It will be fine,i had it happen to one of my hens ,figured she caught it jumping up on the carport it grew back in a few months

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by