Question on nest boxes...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kbarrett, May 15, 2008.

1. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    We are in the process of building our 6' x 8' coop, it is framed out, and before we finish the siding I need to make a decision on the nest boxes. I am now considering having the nest boxes stick out of the south wall, making them outside accessible as well as saving on space. Does anyone have any good pics showing how to do this? Also what would you all suggest for number of nest boxes for 14 girls (white/brown leghorns, black/ buff minorcas and barred hollands). Originally I was thinking 3 or 4, do you think this will be enough?

Thanks!

2. mudshark

mudshark Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    UK
  3. lilcountry

lilcountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Benson, NC
    [​IMG]

The 2 boxes in the back are the first two I made in my small coop, Im building more and a little different for my big coop

Oh the pet carrier haha is no longer in there, that was when we first moved our chicks in there and they were getting used to the cage. It was also easier to bring them inside if it was going to be cold.

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  4. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    What would you guys suggest the best size for "LARGE breed hens" Orps. for nesting boxes?

THANKS in Advance.

DILLY GIRL

5. kbarrett

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    Thanks for the suggestions & pics....very helpful. It looks like the way to go for us, my "very helpful" 5yo son is very into helping caring for the girls & I had visions of him letting them all out of the coop when checking for eggs.

6. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
  7. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    Thank you Dawn so very much. I always find your replies so helpful.

Dilly

8. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

4 nesting boxes would be good.

Here's an example of nesting boxes accessed from outside....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We just have to lift the roof and take out the eggs... really easy.

9. kbarrett

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    McGoo...you're hired. Can you come over tomorrow & install one for me [​IMG]

10. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

It's my dh. He's the handyman!!! And he's done it twice. First to a little doghouse that we converted and then to the Taj Mahal... or so we call it!

Truth is that being able to just pick up the roof and take the eggs is really nice. We did end up putting a lock on the roof...just in case our little rocky raccoon figures something out.

Good luck with the coop. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by