Question on newly hatched Silkies

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by wjallen05, Dec 11, 2009.

1. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    Why do a few of my just-hatched (this morning) Silkies have a HUGE knot/bump(?) on the top of their head? (think: coneheads)

2. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    Thats there brain sticking out of the top of there head... Their brain is exposed.. So you have to make sure that it doesmt get peck or bumped.. They are suppose to be like that... [​IMG]

3. wjallen05

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    seriously?

4. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    yep!!! Gives them a good vault.. I am sure that someone will give you better info.. But all the ones I got from the top breeders are like that. Wait till they start to feather in you wil see the difference..I think they are cuter with the bump [​IMG]

5. wjallen05

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    weird!!!! thanks for the info!

6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Can you post pictures? (i ask only because i love to see pics of baby silkies) [​IMG]

Yes, some silkies hatch out with vaulted skulls, and those are actually the more coveted. Although, it can be a problem if the vault is too big. Someone on this board hatched out a silkie with a huge vault. Unfortunately, it died after a few days. But in general a vaulted skull is a good thing.

7. wjallen05

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    thank you for all the helpful info and the links.

I did take pics will upload them in a lil bit.

Wanted to say that one of the chicks died [​IMG] it, of course, had to be one of only two Splash [​IMG] (I thought I was buying a dozen splash eggs.... didn't turn out that way [​IMG] )
    It was all fluffed out, running around and doing great. I went to pick up daughter from school, came home and it was dead [​IMG] I think it was a problem with the vaulted skull???
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  8. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Possibly. Hard to say. Very, very large vaults are not good as too much brain is exposed and there is so much that can happen.

9. wjallen05

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    And then a second one died, also had a huge head. I took a picture of it before it died. I'll upload the pics tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by