Question on packing peanut genders

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by gvntofly05, Nov 15, 2009.

1. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    I ordered the 25 EE pullet special from MPC and got them back in Sept. I got 26 chicks. They are now 8 weeks old. EE are so hard to tell gender and I am really hoping that at least 1 is a roo. What are the chances that the packing peanut will be a roo? There are a couple that I am questioning but I think they are still too young to tell. If you ordered from MPC and got a packing peanut what did it's gender turn out to be?

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Packing peanuts are almost always extra roosters.

3. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    I didn't order from MPC, but I ordered from Ideal. All of my packing peanuts were roosters. I would suspect the chances of yours would being a rooster would be good as there aren't near as many roosters ordered.

4. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    What the heck is a packing peanut? A runt?

5. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    packing peanuts are extra chicks that are thrown in with your order for warmth during shippng.

6. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    Oh. I thought they would use straw or something to help with that. I have never ordered chicks before.

7. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

Made me LMAO my funny for the day.

Packing peanuts are the extra chicks that the hatchery adds to fewer orders to help generate body heat for the chicks during shipping/usually they do this with orders that a fewer than 25 or so. It all depends on when they are ordered and mostly they are Roos but some will give you a rare/exotic type for a surprise.

catdaddy

8. pedro24

pedro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    arthur, ontario
    you should be able to tell after 1 or 2 months [​IMG]

9. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Last year when I was reading about MPC they said when they send out extras they will be the same gender as your order. When I got an extra from Mt. Healthy is was a pullet. So it sure could be a female, but sexing is only about 90% accurate in most breeds so there's a chance you have a little boy in there.

Not really helpfull, huh? Just have to wait and see. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by