question on pigeons

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by aarontheman, Dec 13, 2012.

1. aarontheman

aarontheman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    Ireland dublin
    hi everyone i have lost a bird today to a cat[​IMG] it was a male but it had a female (no eggs ) but will the female pair up with another bird thanks allot !

2. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    In 100% of my cases the answer has been yes. Most times not as quick as you like it all depends on the individual bird.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    A male will readily select another mate. In my experience hens take a little longer to select another mate. When I was actively breeding Birmingham rollers, I would break up and remate pairs several times a year trying out combinations to produce better birds. I always pen mated these birds
    because once they were returned to the community loft they would always go back to the mate of their choice. Their joy (that is sure what it looked like to me) at being back with their favorite mate was very evident.

1 person likes this.
  4. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Yes, she will pair up again. If in a community loft then it's best to separate them together by themselves.

1 person likes this.
  5. laughingdog

laughingdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    if its alone with no sight or sound of original mate, maybe switching cages, as seems to help, she will pair up fine in week to month. goodluck!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by