Question on pips, lockdown, and egg turner?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by muslw4, Jun 27, 2011.

1. muslw4

muslw4 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    I put 24 eggs into the bator 6 am june 10. This is day 18. Should I take them out of the turner now? When do the first pips usually appear? I lost power for 2 hours last MOnday. This should delay hatching a bit right? I candled the eggs day 15 and only saw shadows in some. I didn't see any red veins, but I was using a flashlight and maybe it wasn't strong enough? Some eggs I could see through so assume they weren't fertalized. I'm afraid the chicks died but can't tell. Please help I need advice.

2. chicken delighted

chicken delighted Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    mesick,michigan
    i would take them out of the tunner and boost the humity and lock it down as for what happens never give up hope till no hope is left wait and keep going . sometimes things just work out perfect hope it does for you. [​IMG]

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree. Yes, on day 18 take out the turner and lay the eggs in the bottom of the incubator on the wire. If you lost power for awhile and the temperature dropped some the chicks could hatch a bit later. Since you are on day 18, don't despair there is still plenty of time and they many not hatch until day 21 or 22. These are Pheasant eggs but eggs are eggs.

[​IMG][​IMG]

This is a pic of some chicks that were hatching.
    [​IMG]

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    If you are using a styrofoam incubator you may need to add a sponge to get the humidity up. I bring my humidity up to 65% to 70%.

[​IMG]

5. muslw4

May 7, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    Thank you for the quick reply. I took the eggs out of the turner and laid them on the wire. I do have a small container of water and sponge in and filled the pools in the bater. Two eggs were stuck on the turner and broke when I tried getting them out. I don't think they were even fertilized. No signs of life whatever. Some of the other eggs seem heavier than others. So, maybe.... Guess we'll see in a couple of days. Fingers crossed!

6. CatDaddyAlbert

CatDaddyAlbert NoFeathersRuffled

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    One thing I might ad to what other members have said is make sure your humidity stays up at this point. 70 to 75 is good. If it goes beyond that it will really not hurt anything. When you add water you do it through on of the vent holes.

The way I do it is that I use a plastic ketchup dispenser (you can get the at Wally World for .97 cents), and a flexible straw. I put the bendy end into the hatcher and you can spin it around and reach almost anywhere. Stick the dispenser in the end of the straw and put the water where you want it.

It is really best if you DO NOT open the hatcher. That advice is given over and over again on the forums and I truly believe in it. The chicks can live in there for 3 days on their sac so if one hatches on say Monday you do not have to take it out really for 72 hours. If you do have say a chick die in the hatcher get yourself a small spray bottle and set it to a fine spray. Open the hatcher quickly, grab what you need, do the spray thing three or four times and close it up. You humidity should stay good that way.

Best of luck on your hatch!!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  7. CatDaddyAlbert

CatDaddyAlbert NoFeathersRuffled

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    By the way.....pictures like cmom posted are really helpful. I used to just lay a sponge in mine and then had to add water t keep it wet. Pictures like cmom posted of the spong in a jar of water are invaluable. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  8. muslw4

May 7, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    What a great idea with the ketchup bottle and straw! Thanks! I've been having trouble with keeping humidity up. It's been about 40% but drops to 35% over night. Always added water before bed and in the morning. was wondering how to add water without opening the bator. I think if I do this again, I'm going to get a different bator. Don't really like this one. It's a Little Giant Still air I borrowed from my mother. I've since read not so good reviews about this bator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by