Question on pools

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by annie3001, Nov 14, 2011.

1. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    Hello.
    I was thinking about making the water situation better for my ducks.
    They have a pool (kids baby kind). I change the water when its brown and dirty. alot of work. sort of. I have to tip it and fill it up again. using a hose.
    i wondered if i left i didnt change the water, is that safe.
    I was thinking this, because if i had an actual pond, the ducks would be in that right? people dont usually drain their ponds. so i was thinking on getting a slightly bigger pool, digging up the dirt, inserting the pool. that way the ducks can just sort of glide into their pool. i hope what i am saying is making sense. Could i leave the pool water and just add more water, when it gets low? Without having to tip it over etc.? [​IMG]

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Actually ponds for water fowl as big as 30 feet wide should really have some running water through them and/or a filter and /or be drained regularly. It sounds like most folks go with the tipping and filling the kiddie pool. I know they get it mucky pretty fast, but reasonably clean water is an important part of duck grooming and keeping their nose and eyes clear.

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    You will still need to clean it somehow. If you dig a hole then you need to add a drain to the pool or be ready to bail with a bucket until you can lift and dump to rince and refil.

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    YOu could flood it... run the hose till the water all overflows.. it will eventually come clean(well, cleaner) that way but that kinda wastes water... especially if your paying for it. I'm on a well, so i just dump the pools every two days or so... the smaller pools i tend to dump more often.. sure i don't deny it's work lol but it's just part of owning ducks i figure... [​IMG]

5. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    okay... guess i am doing the dump pool method..... they sure get it dirty tho! lol
    Its so awesome when my ducks are fresh water, they swim like they have made it to heaven! [​IMG]
    Thanks for your replys, confirms that i am just going to keep doing what im doing. lol

6. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    I have trouble dumping my pools too. I step on the sides of my bigger pool, and it is apt to break when it gets really cold.

I am considering cutting a round hole in or near the bottom and inserting a rubber sink stopper.

Also remember that ponds have lots of plant and animal life that remove / convert waste.

7. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Up until now, I've been using a small wading pool made for dogs and a concrete mixing tub for my ducks. Yesterday I dropped a 4x4 post on the mixing tub and smashed it. The pool and tub both have the same problem, they are brittle and crack easily. I went and got this 40 gallon stock tank to replace them with. http://www.tractorsupply.com/livest...products-heavy-duty-oval-tank-40-gal--2229846 It's made of rubber so it should be easier to dump and at some point I'll install a drain plug near the bottom. That's where most of the gunk ends up anyway. I figure I can drain the bottom 1/3 of the water and top it off a few times before needing to dump and rinse it. TSC also carries a 50 gallon rubbermaid with a drain plug that sits low to the ground but I didn't feel like it was worth spending $40 more on it.

8. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Can you find any of the old heavy duty plastic pools that have drain plugs? I have a sandbox/pool leftover from my kids that is one of their pools.. it has a drain plug... [​IMG]

[​IMG] (not mine just found a pic online but i have the same one)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  9. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    where would you get a drain plug? are they similar to the kitchen kind?

10. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Quote:I've seen some people use regular bathtub drains but I don't know how they did it. TSC carries stock tank drain plugs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by