1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question on raising Quail....

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Scot1458, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Scot1458

Scot1458 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2009
    I have 25 three week old Quail in the brooder, will put them in their cages shortly. I have rabbits in other cages across the garage, and my chicken coop is located near by as well. Seperation will be at least 10 feet, but wasn't sure if I could raise them so close to other domestic animals.

Kinda of a silly question I admit. Thanks.

2. Pavo Royale

Pavo Royale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2009
    Gainesville, GA
    I will probabily get blasted for this one, but the few cortornix that I have live with my three bunnies in a pen outside on the ground. Several times I caught one of the birds sleeping on top of the rabbits. Tried to get pics, but so far no luck. May not be a good idea, but I do not have a large flock and not much to lose.

3. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    lol, cute! I heard you are not even supposed to raise birds and rabbits in the same building due to cocci issues. I do not keep mine together at all. I don't have quail but i want to badly:) I would consider 10 feet a safe distance if they cannot get into each others' droppings.

4. canter6

canter6 Cooped up

Oct 12, 2009
    Dacula,GA.
    Quote:What kind of quail are we talking about?

5. canter6

canter6 Cooped up

Oct 12, 2009
    Dacula,GA.
    Quote:Consider yourself "blasted", but my BLASTER seams to be on the fritz lately.

I keep 3 coturnix, 1 bobwhite, 12 pheasants, 4 rattlesnakes, 6 black widow spiders, and 39 button quail in the same cage and have no problems. I open the door in the morning and they free range all day and come home at night.

6. ozzie

ozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    I keep 3 coturnix, 1 bobwhite, 12 pheasants, 4 rattlesnakes, 6 black widow spiders, and 39 button quail in the same cage and have no problems. I open the door in the morning and they free range all day and come home at night.

Wow - I would've thought the quail would be tucker for the rattlesnakes. [​IMG]

I was always of the impression that you couldn't free range quail because unlike chickens they don't come home to 'roost'.

ozzie​

7. canter6

canter6 Cooped up

Oct 12, 2009
    Dacula,GA.
    Quote:Wow - I would've thought the quail would be tucker for the rattlesnakes. [​IMG]

I was always of the impression that you couldn't free range quail because unlike chickens they don't come home to 'roost'.

ozzie

Pretty much my point ozzie. [​IMG]

8. Scot1458

Scot1458 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2009
    Quote:What kind of quail are we talking about?

Coturnix and soon Texas A&M.

9. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:Wow - I would've thought the quail would be tucker for the rattlesnakes. [​IMG]

ozzie

Pretty much my point ozzie. [​IMG]

naw thats not true.... THEY GO TO THEIR NEW HOME TO ROOST! LOL.

10. canter6

canter6 Cooped up

Oct 12, 2009
    Dacula,GA.
    Well, my rattle snakes always come home, but I miss a quail or 2. I'm just scratching my head????

Sorry I slaughtered your thread Scott!
    Thanks for clarifying your quail species. (On a side note: coturnix and TX. A&M are the same species.)

As far as separation goes, 10 feet should be a good physical separation, but different species can carry some bad bugs that may be transferred to other species.
    All that aside, you should be fine. I was just worried about you wanting to stuff 3 different species in the same pen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by