question on road kill chicken on Ice

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by junipernabby, Aug 31, 2010.

1. junipernabby

junipernabby New Egg

Aug 31, 2010
    Hi there,I found one of my girls dead on the road(intact) put her on ice but did not clean out innards or drain blood until today.
    my question is have I ruined the chicken by not immediately cleaning out innards and draining blood??
    thank you for any info on this as I would hate to waste food [​IMG]
    Jen

2. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    for real?

3. junipernabby

junipernabby New Egg

Aug 31, 2010
    yes for real...true story [​IMG]

4. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Well tobe honest I have no experience with eating my chickens. I can't bring myself to do it regardless of how much better it would be but they are my pets and only my pets. I have a retirement home for them. lol. So sorry I can't help you out.

5. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    I wouldn't eat her if I were you. One, there probably won't be much meat if she's a layer. Two, who knows how long she was out there? And three, some pretty nasty stuff happens by the side of the road (dogs, etc) so I'd be worried about cleanliness.
    I guess I'd be iffy eating any sort of roadkill!

6. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    I'd pass.

7. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    I am pretty sure there is a time frame from when the bird dies to when you should gut it. It doesn't matter if the chicken is a layer or meat bird...you could eat it. In this case, though, you should pass. There are harmful bacteria that fester in a dead animal. One of the reasons they are gutted so soon after being killed. Plus, my understanding is a "roadkill" animal is bruised and would be tough.

Even though I would agree with you that you hate to see it go to waste, it isn't worth risking your health. Throw it in the woods for the scavengers.

8. junipernabby

junipernabby New Egg

Aug 31, 2010
    Darn...I guess I will pass and do it as soon as it happens next time
    Thank you all!

9. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    I go hunting and shoot pheasant, quial, dove, goose, duck, rabbit, deer, etc. and I pluck and gut them after I get home, which could be as much as 8 to 12 hours later. I am still healthy and alive after 5 decades of doing this, as evidenced by my typing this little memo. So what difference would a little road kill of your own chicken make?

10. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    Quote:Geez, I hope it doesn't HAPPEN again...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by