Question on setting eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by havi, Aug 31, 2009.

1. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    I have eggs that will be coming a week apart from each other. The first set should be here this Thur. the 3rd and the second set will probably be here the 10th. I know youre not suppose to set them in the same incubator, since they will hatch at two different times. But I dont have any other choice. My question is..should I wait till the second batch gets here and then put them all in the incubator at once. Or just go ahead and set the eggs, and let them hatch a week apart? And remember that next Monday is a holiday. So I wont get the second set of eggs until Thursday around the 10th.

What are your thoughts?

2. jthayerkatz

jthayerkatz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Holland, MA
    tough question, I think I would start them at the same time if there was no other way. [​IMG]
    Is it not possible that you could pick up a cheapo still air inc. for hatching only?
    that would be the ideal situation if you could. But if you are going to hold the first batch and start them together, be sure too keep them at the proper temperature and such. I have heard that if stored properly that they will be fine for up too 2 weeks. I feel your pain, [​IMG] it is soo easy too do i want too hatch every week..

3. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Well originally they were going to be here at the same time, but something came up with the second batch and they will be here a week later. Which Im fine with. I was just wondering what people thought would be best. Ive already spent waaaay to much money on eggs this year so I cant afford to buy another bator right now. But Im going through Miss Prissy's homemade incubator steps to see if maybe thats something I can do too.

4. jthayerkatz

jthayerkatz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Holland, MA
    Also a good idea, it may be easier to build a hatcher rather than a bator though and you only will need to use it for the last three days so if it is iffy on the reliability it would be better too chase it for three days instead of 18. [​IMG]
    good luck.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I wouldn't wait to set the first batch. Maybe 3 or 4 days, but not a full week. You have to take into account that shipped eggs (if both sets are shipped?) are at least 2-3 days old when you get them, and that's if the post office shipped them quickly AND they were collected the day they were sent (possible, but not likely). So at most I would wait 3-4 days to set the first batch, though I don't think them hatching a week apart will harm them too badly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by