Question on Sevin use

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Saltysteele, May 10, 2011.

1. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    i was just thinking, i'm going to dust my birds with Sevin, spray their coop, but what about the run? they've got grass in there. if i dust the grass, then they eat the grass.... ???

i don't want to shut them in the coop for 10 days (or whatever), they'd probably tear each other up by the end. do you all dust the run even though there is grass?

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Eprinex. (Pour on Ivermectin) No need for dusting, just drop onto each hen- bug bites hen - bug dies!

Dusting the grass may harm the grass, but then again hens harm the grass, so ...the grass is doomed either way. You could probably save yourself some trouble by mixing the Sevin powder into their dusting spots instead.

When you dust them and they preen, they will already ingest the stuff, so it can't be avoided. It's fairly safe stuff.

Just some random thoughts, perhaps not all that helpful...

3. DickGJ

DickGJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Sumter, South Carolina
    If you see a cloud of powder coming from South Carolina or hovering overhead...fear not. It's just me spreading Food Grade DE all over the run, in dust beds, and inside the coop! [​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I recommend using sevin dust as recommended by the OSU avian experts at this link.
    http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html
    Eprinex pour on is used primarily as wormer as is ivermectin pour on, any other use is secondary. Either can be used to treat mites. However, you'll still need to treat their house, roosts and nests. There is no withdrawal period for eprinex, there's a 14 day withdrawal period with ivermectin pour on.
    After using sevin dust on your chickens, redust them in 10 days to kill nits that have hatched since the first dusting. Redust their house, roosts and nests on the 10th day as well.
    Sevin dust will not harm grass, but if there's sevin dust on grass and your chickens eat the grass, there will be problems. Dont dust your grass.
    I've used sevin dust in my vegetable garden for years...still breathing and typing.

5. DickGJ

Apr 8, 2011
    Sumter, South Carolina
    Quote:I totally agree. I do use food-grade DE quite extensively though, but once a month you will see me dusting with sevin dust in the garden, the coop and the run! Good post dawg53...especially about the Eprinex and Ivermectin. Have I said this is a good post and I totally agree? [​IMG]

6. Saltysteele

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    thanks guys [​IMG]

i'm not worried about the grass, i was worried about the chickens eating the grass.

tried the bag trick, didn't work out so well. turns out, chicks (mine are about 1/4 grown) don't care to be put in a bag [​IMG]

ended up sprinkling it on the little guys. started by holding the wings and sprinkling it in their "pits," on the back, then flipped them over and sprinkled the bellies and thighs, then upside down and onto the vent area. gave a good fluffin' and let them go. they were all giving me the stink eye, when i was done.

the turkey poults are a little smaller, though, so they went into the bag and got a heavy dusting. they're the ones i first noted the lice on; vent area. they're royal palms, so they're white anyway, but they (especially the smallest) were looking a little pale and tired. still eating fine and interacting fine, but i wanted those dudes lice free [​IMG]

7. DickGJ

Apr 8, 2011
    Sumter, South Carolina
    Quote:[​IMG] I thinking "stink eye" is an understatement. I just can't imaging me trying to place a live chicken in a bag to "powder" it. I can almost picture what you went through whe you mention..."Turns out, my chicks don't care to be put in a bag!" That line alone about killed me with laughter...cause I assure you, If I try shoving one of my 8-9week old chickens in a bag...feathers are gonna fly, and they'll probably be MINE! My 4-week old chicks squawk like I was a serial killer when I try cornering them, let alone pick them up!! [​IMG]

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I know many who would rather use a spray than a dust. I am one of those.

9. Saltysteele

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    lol

when someone suggested it, i was like, "yeah, that sounds easy enough!" so, i grabbed a gallon sized ziplock, my sevin and tore off to the coop.

they don't go into the coop by themselves, yet, so i have to go out every night and grab each one and put them into the coop (coops elevated about 3 feet off the ground with a board with treads), so they're used to being man handled [​IMG]

anyway, i don't leave their water in the coop, because they were spilling it and getting their bedding wet. so, they eat through the night and have nothing to drink; they're about bustin' the door down in the morning to get out to the waterer. i just let one at a time out, snatching them as they came out to dust them.

i somehow managed to hold the wings tight to their bodies, while holding their feet pointing back, and slid them right in. i felt bad, because i essentially was choking them to keep them from withdrawing their heads into the bag (and dust). only did a couple that way before just resorting to sprinkling.

10. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I do not dust the run.

I use a tied-off sock as a powder puff for dusting. Works well and wastes less.

Sometimes I spray the coop with permethrin liquid. I also throw DE around daily in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by