Question on sex?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by showjumper_girl2002, Oct 22, 2013.

1. showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    Hey there! I have two silkie chicks and was wanting opinions on what sex they'd ghat be. I ordered them from my pet chicken as sexed hens but I read its hard to sex day old silkies and I also know mistakes can happen. They are only going on 2 months old so I realize its hard to tell yet but I was just curious as to what your opinions are. Crossing my fingers that they're hens because I absolutely love them! Lol

Here are peanut and gizmo =)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my first time owning silkies so its gonna be hard for me to tell I think lol

2. showjumper_girl2002

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    Here's one more. You can see the two of them a little better.

[​IMG]

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Hi there. They are adorable. You can usually tell the sex by the crest. I raise silkies too. Males usually have a crest that swoops toward the back and females usually have a perfectly round pom pom. Usually by around 2 to 3 months you can tell if they have developed their crest. Your babes are still a bit
    immature to be able to tell yet. Once they're crests
    develop a bit more you can pm me and I'll try to help
    . I usually dna sex my silkies as its only ten dollars to
    test 1 to 9 birds. The lab I use is accumetrics in
    canada. they serve world wide. You simply mail the
    chest feathers about three feathers each and they
    will dna sex them for you. Once the samples arrive it
    takes about three days. I'll show you a pic of some
    confirmed sexed babies and you can notice on the
    crests the difference in these birds as early as 8
    weeks. But their crests have started to develop
    already. .. the buff on the very far right is a female
    notice how round her crest is already? The other two
    are males. Notice how the crest swoops toward the
    back. Even the buff swoops slightly backwards. If
    you compare them to the female on the far right.
    These little guys just turned 8 weeks.sex was
    confirmed using dna but you can see the difference
    in the female crest already. Hope this helps you out a
    bit. But as for your little ones they need to develop a
    bit more before you can determine sex by crest.
    Some are later bloomers than others. But take a look at this female buff on the far right. Notice the roundness and difference from the crest of the two other males. Best wishes and id be happy to look at the birds when they are a bit older and try to guess. Give them more time to develop. I hope this picture helps you out. Female is the far right.see how round her crest is compared to the males? See how the male crest swoops back? Compare the two buffs. See her round pom pom. See how his swoops back? Best wishes to you [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  4. showjumper_girl2002

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    Thanks for your help and for the info on the DNA lab! I will post some more pics when they get a bit older. They're about a month and a half old rt now so I'll wait till they're closer to two or three months. The way the feathers on their head poke up and back worried me that they might be Roos. Guess I'll have to just cross my fingers and wait and see lol I'll have to take a look into the lab you suggested =)

5. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Some birds develop a bit slower than others.that's llikely why the crests are still very immature. But if your concerned the DNA lab is a excellent way to go. Accumetrics is ONLY ten dollars no tax for sexing of 1 to 9 birds! But if they said they are females then they probably are. Its just taking a little longer for the crest to develop. Some are slower developers. I'm glad I could help and wish you the best!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by