Question on shipped eggs.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chichero, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Chichero

Chichero Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2017
    USA
    I bought some eggs on eBay. The seller said eggs would be less than 3 days old. I am fine with that. My question is if eggs are 3 days old and delivery expected on Saturday that makes them 8 days old. I know shipped eggs are risky and there is no guarantee of hatch. My question is How old is too old to begin with? Wither shipped or not? :thumbsup

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

10 days is the limit is my understanding. Be sure and rest the shipped eggs at least 24 hours before setting, pointed end down.

Good luck! [​IMG]

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    While many people only hatch eggs a week or less old, the highest recommendation is 10 days or less and most agree after 2 weeks there's a substantial drop in viability.

4. Chichero

Apr 9, 2017
    USA
    We'll see what happens than. I checked the tracking number and it's saying Thursday delivery. Much better than Saturday. The breeder recommends after going into the incubator not to activate the Turner for another 2-3 days. I've read up on incubating but I haven't seen that recommended before. Will that also help stabilize the air cell?

5. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

You MUST turn your incubator on for 3 days prior to arrival and get your temp stabilized. Yes let your eggs rest for 24 hours before incubating, pointy end down... and then don't turn for the first 2-3 days.

Sorry I misread the question. [​IMG]

The short answer is yes. [​IMG]

6. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    A lot of it depends on air cells. My shipped silkies had great air cells. I think 3 maybe 4 were a tiny bit wobbly, but no detached air cells. I let sit for 12 hours, put them upright in cut down cartons in the bator, (I don't use turners) and didn't turn for 24 hours. For the next two days I tilted. By day four all air cells were firm and looking great so I laid them down and manually turned as normal.

For eggs that have detached or misshapen air cells, I would definitely give them 3 days, no turning, upright in either turner or cartons.

1 person likes this.
  7. Chichero

Apr 9, 2017
    USA
    Thank you very much. That's what I did wrong last time then I only had 2 if 20 hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by