question on shipped eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by adorable, May 20, 2010.

1. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    I have some eggs coming from a long distance. By express post..It was only suppose to take 2 days. But for some reason it is delay...Now because of the long weekend. I will not get them for 5 days. Will this hurt the eggs at all. ??

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    It really just depends as there are several factors other than delay that could hurt them.

Number one, how old were they when they were sent? Had they been getting collected for several days or were they collected that day? Then there's the question on how they are being handled while in transit.

I will tell you that I had gotten a box of eggs from Wynette that had been lost for a week and I ended up with a pretty good hatch, so it is possible that things will be okay. [​IMG]

3. fishfarmer

fishfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2010
    Twin Cities
    Depends on how long the eggs have been sitting prior to being sent out by the seller. I think you can still hatch eggs that are up to 2 weeks old or more, but the hatch rate will be affected. I THINK the rule is less than 10 days. For each day after than, the hatch rate goes down 5% each day or something like that. Ask the seller how often he/she collects the eggs and about how old they were when they were shipped.

4. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    The oldest is 5 days old..By the time i get them. They will be around 10 to 11 days. THen sit for day here.

Last edited: May 20, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by