QUESTION ON SHIPPED EGGS

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicken pickin, Jan 2, 2013.

1. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    This is going to be my second time incubating but my first time with shipped eggs. I should hopefully recieve my eggs at the PO this Sat. How long should I let my eggs sit and settle before placing them in the incubator? I was thinking Mon morning placing them in the incubator or is Sun OK?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  2. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    let them set for 12- 24 hours [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Agreed. I let them sit, fat end up, for 12-24 hours before I set them. If the egg cells are damaged, I set them fat end up and don't turn for the first few days.

1 person likes this.
  4. Conchis

Conchis Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2012
    Georgia
    I'm a total newbie to the whole egg hatching thing, although I have a few eggs on the way as we...umm...type. So, when you say if the egg cells are damaged. Do you candle the eggs when they arrive to see if there is a disruption in some way? How do you determine that?

5. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    I candle,

[​IMG]
    when you candle it should look like the dark purple at first.
    [​IMG]
    this pic is of a saddle cell, the chick should be fine in it, but its not perfect
    if the air cell moves around when you move it, its dislocated. some people throw these out, as the chick might not be able to find it and suffocate. but i have never had a problem with that.

1 person likes this.
  6. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    Thanks! So it sounds as though Sun should be ok to set since it will be about 24hrs after I pick up the eggs. Im nervous to not get a good hatch from shipped eggs. My first hatch was local eggs and 15 chicks hatch out of the 16 eggs that went into lockdown. Anyone else setting this weekend?

7. Conchis

Dec 27, 2012
    Georgia
    I hope to be chicken pickin. My eggs are supposed to be shipped today and I'll get them Friday or Saturday I hope. So, probably Sunday or so for me as well.

8. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    Oh yay! mine are being shipped today also! We should start a thread for setting this weekend.

9. Conchis

Dec 27, 2012
    Georgia
    You're on!!! Not only that, I have a mystery batch of eggs coming, so I don't even know what I'm hatching out. Yet!

10. Conchis

Dec 27, 2012
    Georgia
    Hehehe, I just got my tracking number sooooo...they are on their way!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by