1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question On Showing!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by usschicago1, Sep 1, 2009.

1. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    If birds are not recognized bye the ALBC can you show them. I have a red cochin i reallly want to show, but i know red isnt recognized by them? Am I out of luck?

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Albc?

3. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    The ALBC (American Livestock Breeds Conservancy) generally plays no part in showing, per se. The two bodies that govern most shows (sanctioned ones anyway) are the American Bantam Association (ABA) and the American Poultry Association (APA.)

I am not sure if Red Cochins are in the Standard of Perfection (mine is downstairs right now), but if they are, you can certainly show them. If not, you can still show them, but the highest they can win is Best of AOV (All Other Varieties), they are not eligible to win Best of Breed unless they are an accepted color.

But you can show them no matter what, as long as they are purebreds.

4. usschicago1

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Quote:Thank You So much!!

5. Pathfinders

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    I looked in my APA Standard and here are the accepted colors in Large Fowl (as of the publication date of 1998):

Buff, Partridge, White, Black, Silver Laced, Golden Laced, Blue, Brown, Barred.

In Bantams:

Columbian, Golden Laced, Mottled, Partridge, Red, Silver Laced, and White.

Again, this is the APA Standard (B&W version) from 1998. Other colors may have passed the Qualifier by then that aren't listed there.

You don't say if your bird is Large Fowl or Bantam. If bantam, you can show it and be in the running for more than BV.

6. usschicago1

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Quote:It's A Bantam! I'm confident it is a winner! Thanks! (;

7. Pathfinders

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Pictures, pictures!!!!

[​IMG]

8. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Pictures!!!! [​IMG]

9. usschicago1

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Man I wish I read that earlier, I'll Take a new picture & Post it Tomorrow (;

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by