Question on silkie care

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BunsNChicks, Jun 10, 2011.

1. BunsNChicks

BunsNChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    salinas,ca
    I am new to silkies and have some questions, so please help!

Can they be housed on wire or is it bad for their feet?
    Do nest boxes have to be at ground level?
    Do they need a roost and if so how high of the ground should it be?
    At what age do they start laying?

2. Shannon33

Shannon33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Not sure about the first question, although I thought I read wire floors were bad for chickens feet. I have mine on solid wood floor, pine shavings.
    My boxes are at ground level, not sure how others might do it.
    I have a roost, about a foot and a half of the ground, however the majority of them prefer to sleep in a pile on the floor.
    Mine started laying around 5 months old.

3. prairiehen74369

prairiehen74369 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    north east oklahoma
    Good Morning, My little Feather Dusters have a ladder up to their roost and the nest box is on the floor their wings are just for looks. I keep them in when it is cold and rainy their fluff acts like a sponge and I don't want them to get chilled.pretty hardy otherwise I'm probably a little over protective. [​IMG]

4. ShysCreations

ShysCreations Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine are on a wood floor with thick layer of shavings. Their run is all sand. They tend not to roost like other chickens as they don't fly as much due to their wing/feather structure. Though some of the silkies do roost (not 100%). I'd say give them the option. I use a multi level, leaning roost. They may lay 7-10 mos depending on the time of year. A pullet getting close to lay in dead of winter may take longer due to low light.

Quote:

5. BunsNChicks

Mar 22, 2011
    salinas,ca
    Thanks guys. I currently have mine on wire (they are just 3 weeks old) because they make such a mess of the food and water and I wanted to keep them cleaner. I'm just wondering if this is a bad idea. Once I build them a coop they will be on the ground or wood flooring.

6. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    I personally don't like anything housed on wire flooring... it isn't natural and just can't see how it can be good for them (JMO)
    My nest boxes are at ground level, do they HAVE to be... no, but since mine have a pretty big lip on them... I like them low
    Mine are the oddballs and do roost, but I have a little bridge for them to get up. Two stay about 12 off the ground, the other 4 at 2ft.

prairiehen... feather dusters [​IMG] I love it... mine are white and my 16yo son always asks how they actually stay white when they look like feather dusters... Maybe I can bring one inside and just pretend it is a feather duster.

7. BunsNChicks

Mar 22, 2011
    salinas,ca
    Yeah that's what I was thinking about the wire, gonna change their living arrangements this weekend:)

8. DebbieOliver

DebbieOliver New Egg

May 20, 2012
    what do I need to know to keep a Silki? Have never had anything but a dog and am at a loss. But would love to have a couple. Any suggestions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by