Question on Silkie Colors :)

jywel417

Songster
11 Years
Mar 4, 2009
Atlanta
I got 4 silkie babies last week that will be two weeks old tomorrow. I don't have many pictures of them at this point but just had a couple questions on coloring. The mother was a splash, idk what the father was although I did see a white roo wandering near by when I picked these guys up.

This one I thought might either be white or splash. It has a smudge/dirty looking spot on its head

DSCF5004-1.jpg

DSCF5287.jpg

I have one solid black one which I assume is going to stay black and then two with white eyebrows, this one being the most extreme. Am I correct in assuming that these too are black and will prob loose the white eyebrows as they get older (I really like the evil eyebrows so will be sad to see them go lol )

Eyebrows on the one on the right of this photo:

DSCF5268.jpg

One in the left of this photo:

DSCF5264-1.jpg

Standing next to Kowalski (Kowalski is a 4 wk old mystery breed bantam)

DSCF5200-1.jpg

And all by its lonesome:

DSCF5186-1.jpg

These are def pet quality silkies, no where near SQ. But I just wanted some fluff for my chicken yard
smile.png
So they are perfect for me
smile.png
Any color suggestions are very much appreciated!!

Your yellowish one is either a smutty buff or a very light partridge. The las one with the really big eyebrows looks more blue than black.

Have fun! Silkies are wonderful!

The first chick looks like it only has four toes on each foot. Silkies should have five. But it is very cute.

Also your mystery breed bantam might be a Golden-laced Sebright. But it's hard to tell for sure.

Edited to add:

After seeing you other thread I am going to change my vote to a poorly muffed Belgian Quail d'Anver.

Last edited:
Yes, the first silkie chick in the pictures only has 4 toes per foot. I could have picked all silkies that had 5 toes but this was the only white/buff/? colored chick they had and I wanted it to see what it turned out to be. There was one that had chipmunk looking striping that I didn't pick up that I assume would be a partridge? Anyways, as far as toes, the light chick and the solid black looking chick have 4 toes each foot, one of my 2 with eyebrows has 4 toes on one foot and 5 on the other, and my very eye browed chick has 5 toes each foot. But they aren't for showing, just for fun so I wasn't too concerned about it.

And as far as the Belgian, that is what I had started wondering about for Kowalski's breed. Thanks for the input thus far! Any other guesses/input on color is appreciated and will post pics of all 4 silkie babies as they grow and such
smile.png

**edit** the 2nd pic of the black silkies there is what I think is a golden sebright in that picture in the bottom corner. Different chick than kowalski below it
big_smile.png
which may be obvious bc of size difference in the 2 pics . . . .but it is finals week at UT and my brain isn't working, and i might be rambling in this edit, sorry !

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom