1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

question on SPLASH SILKIES

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LeeLeesFarm, Apr 30, 2008.

1. LeeLeesFarm

LeeLeesFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    So. California

I purchased from the local newspaper, a silkie girl (oh, she better be a girl), at the beginning of March.

She was said to be a BLUE SPLASH silkie .... show quality line ( yeah, yeah ..... I know ... prove it)

Anyway ....
    She is now about 8 wks old.
    She was very "white" in color when I bought her.

At about 5 weeks old we saw light BROWN coloring on her wing tips and in her head hair.

Now, at about 8 wks, she has BLACK coloring down her back.
    Also, the brown is quite dark / very visible in her head hair.
    And the brown on her wing tips and on her tail feathers is a not a dark brown ...it is a light brown..

She still has lots of white, too.

Is she not a BLUE SPLASH after all ????
    Mutt??
    Or does the brown go away?
    Is a BLUE splash, actually BLACK coloring, and just called blue (I thought BLUE would mean a gray color).

Anyway....
    any experts thoughts would be welcomed.

Thanks!
    Lee [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Intersting... Maybe a picture? And a close up of the comb area to make sure it's a she!

I don't know if splashes breed true. I thought splashes were just white with "splashes" of blue or other colors.

Here is what I think a blue splash is... or maybe it's just a splash. I don't really know. LOL But she does have a fw black feathers amongst the rest of her.

Maybe someone can tell me what she really is becides 3/4 cochin.

[​IMG]

3. LeeLeesFarm

Mar 28, 2008
    So. California
    __

Your girl is BEAUTIFUL, Silkiechicken !!

Here are photos of my little girl.

[​IMG]
    Some brown in the wing tips and on the head

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Black down her back

[​IMG]

Too many colors for a true BLUE SPLASH ??

Thanks for your help,
    Lee

______

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

She looks like a splash, but I dont think a blue splash is supposed to have any brown. She is very sweet though. [​IMG]

5. LeeLeesFarm

Mar 28, 2008
    So. California
    ______

And would a BLUE splash actually be BLACK coloring??? or is blue supposed to be a gray color ... just curious.

Lee

_____

6. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    From the comb it looks like a cockeral for sure. The shades of splash can vary. Not brown or buff though. I have some splash that have white looking feathering with splashes of blue/black and then I have some that are almost a light blue with darker splashes. I have a splash that has incorrect coloring that was probably a result of someone using splash to clear up the the black out the tails feathers of their buffs. That is a practice that is used in breeding buffs occaisonally.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    Looks like you have a boy with messed up coloring...

I hope you did not pay alot...

I love it that people have silkies as pets. What I hate is when people
    sell birds they are not sure about as show quality...

Its simple to be truthful..

I can sell a Show quality bird easy BUT I can and will sell a pet quality bird just as easy
    to someone that just wants a pet to love so why be sneaky? Whats the Point??

GOOD LUCK - I hope you can keep him - I hope you just wanted a pet with no intentions of Showing..

I agree with Bamma - By the way I think your hen/Pullet is very pritty... If Lee's Roo turn out like that he will still be a Looker :)

8. LeeLeesFarm

Mar 28, 2008
    So. California
    ______

Oh No ! [​IMG]

Please, No !! [​IMG]

How can you guys tell if it is a cockerel ???

Now I've got a girl that is a guy AND isn't the color I purchased !!! [​IMG]

I'll have to sell him, if he really is a boy, as I am in a residential area !!!!
    (Is cutting the voice box inhumane ..... don't even know if I could find someone who does such here, but the thought just flashed thru my mind).

I paid $35 bucks, which I thought was a little steep at first, but then thought, "Well, I want a Silkie".

How sad! I'll wait to see if it starts crowing before thinking of selling it.

Off to pet my little he/she.

Lee

______

9. annrich

annrich Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Western NY
    Yikes $35.00 oh no. Well I hope you can end up keeping him. Hes very handsome.

10. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    The comb is way to prominent for a pullet in my opinion. On my girls that have good quality, you can't even see a comb and they tend to be flat and hard to feel sometimes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by