question on the difference in chicken breeds

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by chickie fam, Jan 31, 2011.

1. chickie fam

chickie fam Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    Erwin, NC
    This sounds like a dumb question but I was wondering if someone is able to tell me the difference between some of the breeds.
    Thanks

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Some are large, some are small.
    Some are short, some are tall.

Some are white, some are red.
    Some have turbans on their head.

Some lay good, some lay bad.
    Some bred for meat..... oh, that's sad.

[​IMG] I feel like Dr. Seus! [​IMG]

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yeah, it would help if you'd clarify which breed. [​IMG] There are over 150 breeds of chickens, and each with their own "standards" on how they look. There are small ones, tall ones, skinny ones, well muscled ones, production layers, meat birds, dual purpose breeds, ornamental breeds, and so on. . . There are many differences in leg color, comb type, plumage varieties, head shape/ornaments, clean vs feathered legs, tail size, shape, and if there's a tail at all, I could go on. [​IMG]

4. chickie fam

Jan 31, 2011
    Erwin, NC
    I really don't even know any breeds. I'm looking for chickens to gather eggs from but my husband wants a small selection for meat. What kind of breeds would be good egg layers in hot summers? I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm not really into the way they look, more or less I'd like them to be friendly and produce good eggs.

5. chickie fam

Jan 31, 2011
    Erwin, NC
    How about, whats the difference between bantams and silkies?

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Go to one or two of the popular hatchery sites, & see a WHOLE WORLD of different chickens. There is a WIDE variety. They usually tell a little about each breed. There are also MANY different breeds of Bantams.

7. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Click on the "breeds" link right at the top of the page here. It will give you some good information on a lot of the different breeds.

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Silkies ARE Bantams. [​IMG]

Bantam is the name for any small or miniature sized chicken. . . Silkies naturally fit right in that category.

On the "standard" or "large fowl" size are common breeds like Rhode Island Reds, Orpingtons, Rocks, etc. Which can be in bantam/mini form, too.

Silkies are not available in standard size though, as they started out "bantams" and have not been bred to a larger size yet.

9. chickie fam

Jan 31, 2011
    Erwin, NC
    Thank you everyone, you've been a lot of help in pointing me in the right direction!!

10. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    Did you want meat and eggs from the same breed of bird? Or two different types. There are many birds that are considered "dual purpose". The lay decently and have good meat also. Google- Henderson's poultry chart. It's a fabulous side by side comparison of breeds!!![​IMG]
    Colby in Kentucky
    I'm going to subscribe to this post. I'd love to see what you decide on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by