Question on the Lakenvelders

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by drom, Jun 13, 2008.

1. drom

drom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    California
    Does anyone have any Lakenvelder hens? I just ordered a golden one because they are so pretty, but I keep reading that they are wild and flighty. I am not too sure what to make of that because all the breed profiles of the S. Buttercup say about the same thing and I love my little Buttercup. She is sweet and inquisitive and gets along great with my Barred Rock and EE girls. Doesn't seem nervous at all. In fact she seems to like it when I pick her up.
    So I am wondering if the Lakenvelders are the same if they are socialized early.
    Does anyone know?

Also, these pullets I have will be about 8 weeks ahead of my Lakenvelder chick. At what age should I try to put her in with the girls and could that be a real problem? I just have the 3 girls now; Buttercup, BR and EE.

Any opinions and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!big_smile

2. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

yes very flighty i got 5 babies there aroudn 10 weeks boy do they fly. even worse than the white leghorns. mine are in with barred rock, soem egyptions, and some others.

3. drom

Jun 12, 2008
    California
    Thanks, well I hope I like mine. They are certainly very beautiful birds, and I wanted something a little rare. I love the buttercup I have. If the temperament is anything like her I will be happy. She's not quiet, but very friendly and fun.[​IMG]

4. drom

Jun 12, 2008
    California
    Well, it looks like my Golden Lakenvelder is back ordered until at least July 23 and may not be available this year at all. So... I think I am going to just head down the Marans route.
    Completely different type of bird. But I really wanted a dark egg layer anyway.

Maybe I will get a little Lakenvelder next year. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by