question on the overnights

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Nolagal, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Nolagal

Nolagal Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2015
    Hartsgrove, Ohio
    I have a weird question. We are building our coop this weekend and boy boyfriend thinks we should close the chickens into the coop all night even though they'll be completely fenced in. I don't think its necessary because the chickens will put themselves away. We are just worried about the coyotes because they come to the pond a lot. We always run them off but they're around. Any one with any suggestions? TIA

2. lovemy6hens

lovemy6hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    Yes, lock them up every night.

3. Alarmguy66

Alarmguy66 New Egg

Apr 3, 2014
    Madison, Virginia
    Every night. The one you miss will be the one that something gets in.

4. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Is your run as secure as your coop???

Mine is, and I have no issues with leaving the door and access to the run open 24/7.

5. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Chicken Obsessed

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Even where I am in suburbia I have issues with leaving the pop door open. My biggest issue is the mice have found that they can come in after dark through that opening and chew the feathers off the sleeping hens.
    Yes mine a closed in every night. I have had to go to more extreme lengths in trying to keep the mice out. I set traps but that does not get them all. I check every corner a mouse could be hiding in when I close the pop door in the evening. I try to chase them toward the traps but eventually give up and open the pop door so they can run out.
    I am making some of the bucket traps this weekend since they make me insane.

6. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Yes close them in the coop at night.

7. HG2705

HG2705 New Egg

Mar 21, 2015
    Hi
    I have some ducks and I put them in at night. But I am wondering how much space they need for the night (they are free range during the day) they are all small (8 call,3 East indians,3 kaiki Campbels.
    Thanks

8. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    I am in the 'close them in' group. I know they'll 'put themselves to bed' everynight, but, if anything could get into the run at night, in through the pop door and feast away......

to second whomever it was who asked, 'is your run as secure as your coop' if you can answer that with a yes, then don't worry about it. If not, close the doors once they're all inside, and reopen in the morning

9. Bullyshowgirl

Bullyshowgirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2015
    Dixon IL
    Another vote for locking them in! There is no such thing as completely safe when it comes to hungry critters. Better safe than sorry :)

10. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO

x200²

Only way to be sure.

Have read too many sad tales, over the years. "Luck" does not favor the chicken (beyond your serving as just that).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by