question on "training" my girls?!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by creative.hortic, Nov 15, 2010.

1. creative.hortic

creative.hortic Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2010
    I have a smaller backyard city set up and have 6 girls in there for about 2 weeks now. my question is, how do i get them to use the ramp to get in and out of the coop? we put them in there at nite and close the door to the outside. in the morning i go out and open the door and they go running out. but at nite i have to physically grab each one and put her up top, they wont go up the ramp into the coop! do i have to train them to do this....and how? they are about 9 weeks old, and i took away the heat and food in the coop now....we get nite time temps around 30 now.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Bribe them with treats. You might need to provide food in the coop again. Also check them for mites/lice (after dark) as it is possible this is why they are avoiding the coop. Most likely, though, they are just having a problem with something new, and it will just take some time. Is the coop new? Is it well ventilated? Is there natural light? How big is it?

3. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    Bribe them with treats to get themto go up the ramp put treats part way up or at the door so they have to get on the ramp to get the treats. It is new and chickens are bird brains you gotta motivate them and nothing does that like food!!!!!

4. Smiles-N-Sunshine

Smiles-N-Sunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2008
    Palominas, Arizona
    Probably just takes time for them to figure out. Once one gets it, the others "should" follow, and then it will become routine for them.

5. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I had to tap on the ramp of my new coop to get the chickens interested in the coop. This was before I had a rooster and was very inexperienced so I guess it sounded sort of like a rooster calling hens to a treat so that might be why it worked. It will probably be easier to use treats to get them to use the coop.

6. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    I'll bet raisins going up the ramp would entice them. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  7. HeritageHens

HeritageHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Orygun
    Oh man does this bring back memories. When I moved the girls to the coop, they all figured it out, except one - Gibbs, my Blue Cochin BANTAM (who wasn't supposed to be but I digress!). I had to shoosh Miss fuzzy butt up and down the stairs half a dozen times in a row to teach her how to go up and down the ramp. She finally learned.

Now if I can get her to leave the coop to free range with the others instead of hiding in the coop and squawking at them and me having to go in and retrieve her... [​IMG]

Chickens.

8. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    They are creatures of habit. Keep putting them in and they will get used to it. The treats will make this go faster. This new flock was my slowest learning set, it was really frustrating. Once I started using the treats they learned fast and I was like duh. Good luck, they will get it eventually though.

9. maggiemooscluckers

maggiemooscluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

I had to put my chickens into the coop at night for at least 2 weeks straight. They would just huddle up by the door but not go in. I was beginning to think that they would never figure it out. Then low and behold on their 6 week old birthday I went out to put them in and they were already in. They walked right up the ladder and went in. Momma was sure proud! Patience is a virtue and they will definitely teach you all about it. Just keep it up and they will get it soon.

10. curliet

curliet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    west Michigan
    If it's dark inside, they might not be able to see well enough to go in. If you can, maybe a low watt light on a timer that would keep it light enough for them to see the inside and the roost, for just long enough to get settled at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by