Question on Vaccination ... medicated feed for Coccidiosis

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bullwinkle, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Nebraska
    Hi Folks:

I have a question:

I ordered chicks from one hatchery and asked that they receive the Mareks and Cocciodiosis vaccinations (I then planned on not using medicated feed).

I really wanted some Red sex links also, and since this hatchery was already sold out, I ordered some from a different hatchery. The 2nd hatchery only does the Mareks vaccinations (not Cocciodiosis vaccinations).

I read on the first hatcheries web site not to use medicated feed if they received the cocciodiosis vaccinations.

The chicks are going to be raised in in inside brooder for about the next month or so. They will be about a month (maybe a little more) old before I move them into the coop that used to house Chickens a couple of years ago.

1. Do you think I will have any problems with using non-medicated feed? Or
    2. Should I have the first hatchery cancel the Cocciodiosis vaccinations? 3. Or should I just feed the non-medicated feed and switch to the medicated feed when they get moved outdoors?

Thanks for any advice (I have 72 chicks coming from one hatchery and 21 from the other...within a couple of days of each other in February).

Bullwinkle

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I think you need to start them right out on medicated feed, or something of the equivalent (I used something called Chick 2 & 1 from Strombergs - it's a powder you add to the chick water for the first 21 days. They say it's much better than feeding medicated feed; then, I fed UNmedicated starter after the 21 days.)

I've never had one vaccinated for cocci.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Many raise chicks on nonmediated feed. If you paid for cocci vaccines, then I'd just feed them all UNmedicated feed and watch for signs of cocci. In my damp area, I feed the medicated feed and they still get it. If you do feed a starter with amprolium, it will cancel the cocci vaccines, I have been told.

4. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Since the first set of chicks have been vaccinated is it possible with live virus? Can the second set get it from them? Sorry did not mean to hijack but it sort of fell in. jean

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I think the Mareks would be your only issue if the second batch was not vaccinated for that.I cant recall the discussion awhile back, but seems you must keep them separated for a certain period with that one. Cocci, being a protozoan and not a virus type thing, has no reason to separate the vaccinated from the nonvaccinated.

6. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    thanks Jean

7. Bullwinkle

Dec 30, 2008
    Nebraska
    Thanks for the input everyone...

Quote:Speckledhen... I think your right. I just heard back from the hatchery that does the vaccination and they said:

Using a medicated feed will nullify the coccidiosis vaccine. It will not hurt the birds, but it is just a waste of money to vaccinate.

Since the chicks haven't hatched/been vaccinated yet, I think I'll call and have them cancel just the Coccidiosis vacination (but keep the Mareks since all can get that).

My last question I thought of: would medicated chick starter have any kind of negative impact on goslings? (I'll be getting x5 - day old chinese goslings also). I'd like to be able to feed the the same basic food and suppliment the goslings with greens.

Thanks for the help.

Bullwinkle​

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  8. Bullwinkle

Dec 30, 2008
    Nebraska
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  9. countrygirliowa

countrygirliowa New Egg

Jul 3, 2013
    Imnew to this raraising chickens. I had the hatchery vaccinate for mareks and cocciodiosis and didn't know to not feed nonmedicated feed, everything I had read suggested medicated feed. Should I revaccinate or not.. Thank you for any advice..

10. buckaroogirl

buckaroogirl Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2013
    Alberta
    I wouldn't revaccinate. Just watch for symptoms

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by