question on wild bird rehab

Boyd

Recipient of The Biff Twang
10 Years
Mar 14, 2009
MI
found a nest of birds that was in the process of being decimated by a snake. 2 of the 3 babies didn't make it. The 3rd one was brought inside by the kiddo's. I am going to be contacting a wildlife rehab to take over, but was wondering if anybody had any tips. I've been feeding small bits of scrambled egg, mushed worms etc. Baby wants food every hour and a half during the daytime, and this afternoon took it out to exercise its wings. One wing if feathered out ok, the other is still so so with pin feathers still. Something chewed off its tailfeathers and part of a wing.... Best guess is it's a robin, but not for sure. Only reason I didn't send it right back out was
1. it was already touched by humans
2. It isn't scratching for its own food yet, and still raises its head and opens its mouth when I put my hand in
3. I am worried it bonded to me.

barnie.gif

It's a cute bird, I am trying not to overly handle it so it becomes a house bird.. and am thinking another week or two before it'll be ready for flight... Help?!

I think the mother rejecting a baby bird because it has been handled by people is an old wives' tale.

Raising baby wild birds doesn't have a real high success rate and unless you are licensed to do so is probably technically illegal.

Baby birds will imprint pretty quickly and will be at a real disadvantage when it comes time to leave the nest. It will think it is a human and it's life expectancy will be shorter because it doesn't have that stay away from people instinct.

Sorry to be less than supportive but this is what I have seen happen with inexperienced people trying to save baby birds.

I hope it makes it for the rehab folks.

My cousin raised one once. She fed it soft dog food. It was really neat the way it would back it s rear over the side of it s nest to poop.

If you know where the nest was, you could stick the baby back out there in a makeshift nest on a near by tree limb or bush limb. Most birds actually have a very poor sense of smell and the parent birds will return even after humans have touched the baby. The parents should be able to find baby if the "new" nest is close to where the original was. However, if this is not possible, your best bet is to feed the baby little pieces of soaked dry dog food. Sometimes an older bird won't open up right away for food, but occasionally you can get them to open with a tap on the top of their beak. Let me know if you have any other questions! I've raised quite a few baby birds and they are actually quite easy to care for!

Quote:
No I hear ya Dacs, that's why I am trying to find somebody in my area to take over. technically I am pretty sure I am breaking the law, but I have a call in to the CO's about who to call so at least I'm covered a bit.

I saved an osprey once. It was against the law but I figured I'd take my lumps proudly. If I got cited, I'd keep the "award" and frame it with a caption "THE PRICE OF DOING THE RIGHT THING". Fish and Game would not help, the city would not help. No one would do anything except let it die. Screw that.

Do what you can. You'll never be sorry you tried to save that bird. Only sorry, if you don't.

Here's the Facebook page for a girl I went to high school with (when dinosaurs roamed the Earth... we never saved any of those babies and LOOK WHAT HAPPENED!). http://www.facebook.com/david.buschhorn?ref=profile#!/profile.php?id=1485474569&ref=sgm she helps with animal rescues and whatnot. "The green author of Maryland"

Here's the osprey story:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/mustang-lounge/81199-found-injured-osprey-today.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom