question on winter and heat

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Keene's coop, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Keene's coop

Keene's coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    neenah, wisconsin
    what is everyones opinion on this. i live near green bay wisconsin so our winters get pretty cold. i read in this email i get from some company (can't remember the name), but they said do not heat coop cuz if the electricity suddenly goes out, the change in tempurature will shock the chickens and possibly kill them. so now i'm afraid to heat my coop. my coop is 5 1/2 ft by 5 1/2 feet and built up against the garage. i have 4 chickens. they are a rhode island red, buff orphington, a small grey cochin, and a hybred of some kind. so fairly all large birds except for the cochin. and i do give them cracked corn first thing in the morning and again about 1 hour before they get locked up at night. so what is everyones opinion and suggestions on this. thanks ahead of time.

2. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    There are plenty of threads on the forum about winter care. Yhttps://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=414202 Basically you're chickens will be fine without heat as long as they can get into a coop that is ventilated--moisture, not cold is the culprit when it comes to winter problems. The breeds you have will take 20 below with no problem.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep. Avoid drafts but keep a decent, gentle air flow. Some more ideas in the links below...

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by