Question on worming

lizzard14

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 1, 2011
I free range my chickens and the other day one of them pooped in front of me and I thought, is that moving, on closer examination I noticed a couple of little bitty, I mean tiny worms moving around. Then I noticed another one pooped some reddish brown diarreah and there was one of these little bitty worms swimming like crazy in it. None of my birds act sick, but after seeing that, I went and bought some safeguard paste, after reading post after post on here, I decided to weigh each of my birds and give them .23ml per pound of bird. I decided to do all 14 of them because they haven't been wormed in awhile. I'm not sure what kind of worms they were because they were to tiny to really see. My question is, Do you think I should worm them 5 days with this stuff or just one day, and do I repeat the doseage in 10 days or so? Any advice is greatly appreciated! I've always just used wazine, but I was out so I went and bought the paste since it is a broad spectrum wormer, since I wasn't sure what kind of worm it was.

The little ones yeah, except moving a lot faster. Thank you so much for the reply.

I'll try and get one today. The looked like the little skinny worms moving around in the video.

I guess I should add, I haven't seen any tapeworm segments, if they look the same in chicken poop as they do in cat poop. lol. I'll try and get a picture today. The worms I saw looked like the little skinny ones in the video. So are the little skinny ones tapeworms or just the segments? Thanks Coach and Dawg.

I guess I should add, I haven't seen any tapeworm segments, if they look the same in chicken poop as they do in cat poop. lol. I'll try and get a picture today. The worms I saw looked like the little skinny ones in the video. So are the little skinny ones tapeworms or just the segments? Thanks Coach and Dawg.
Worms that are excreted from chickens in feces are dead or dying, not moving around except for tapeworm segments as seen in the video. Other than dead or dying worms, why would a parasite leave its host?
You might be seeing maggots. Inspect your all your hens vent area closely for fly strike.

Good point. Not maggots though. After reading other posts about that stuff, I checked all of their vents when I weighed them to make sure there wasn't a fly strike. I'll see if I can get a good photo today. Thanks dawg53

Back
Top Bottom