QUESTION: pigeon racing....

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by cochinGurl, Dec 27, 2010.

1. cochinGurl

cochinGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    bellingham
    hello all, i know this isnt a site about pigeons, but i thought id post my question here aswell as pigeon talk because so far ive had no answers. ok, so my question is, about racing. i know that the racing homers are the best for racing, but are you aloud to race other breeds if you want to, like, say, high flyers? runts? tumblers? any advise is verry welcomed. thanks, cochingurl out- [​IMG]

2. cochinGurl

May 11, 2010
    bellingham
    hello all! i have another pigeon question, sorry [​IMG] ok, so i was wondering, will a pigeon fly over water to get to an island? for example, i live on a small island REALY close to the mainland, way under a mile, like, were talkin 5 minit ferry ride lol. so, (once there settled) can i bring my pigeons off-island and still have them fly back? thanks -cochingurl out-

3. cochinGurl

May 11, 2010
    bellingham
    ooo. srry for the x2 post. it was an axident

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Homing instinct has not been selected for in other breeds; therefore, there would be no guarantee that they would return home. I know very little about racing homers, but I think that there are certain strains that are more willing to fly over water than others. Even with them it is a matter of proper training.

5. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Homing/racing pigeons are the only option. All other pigeon breeds just have the instinct, not the ability. That means they will go back home, into their loft at night and such (unlike other birds who would fly away when let out)...but when released from a distance, they will be lost.
    And yes, they will fly over the water. You may want to release them out over the water first to get them used to it, before you take them across it and release them from the other side.

6. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    slowly increase the distance for the birds to fly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by