Question please. follow up on prior post...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wnancy, Aug 7, 2014.

1. wnancy

wnancy Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2014
    Bloomfield, Iowa
    I posted a few days ago about my hen. Found her on floor of coop unable to stand. very weak. flopped backwards if she tried to move.

today she is still alive. She is still very weak and doesn't walk. Her legs are not paralyzed as she can move them. If I set her in the grass she will pull her legs under her into a nesting position and will try to stand up. I haven't found her on her back for a couple days now. Something she was doing at first. She seems to be able to stay upright anyway.

She is on day four of corrid treatment. I have a mix of corrid and save-a-chick solutions I pour on her feed and make a mash. She gobbles it up. We have to encourage her to eat a lot, but she will. I am also dissolving a B1 tablet in the solution too. Suggested by a vet. We are still not 100% sure we are dealing with cocci, but vet said it was very possible. That or botulism. We still see what looks like a little blood in stool.

A question I have for anyone that has seen cocci in chickens is, does this sound like cocci? Should I have seen more results by now?

I am also treating the rest of my flock with corrid..........they love the mash and I put I have it in their water too.

thanks for your info

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  2. wnancy

wnancy Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2014
    Bloomfield, Iowa
    She is still with me.............thanks for more info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by