Question please help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by realsis, Mar 19, 2016.

1. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    hi friends I know this is the wrong place to ask but I asked in the appropriate forum and never got a answer :(. How many chickens will a 4x8 hen house hold? really worried cause I have 10 coming and hubby won't build bigger. I hope I don't have to give away any of my brand new chicks!! will they fit????

2. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    It depends on what kind of chickens they are.

Heavy breeds when grown require 4 square feet per chicken.
    4x8 = 32 square feet so 10 chickens should have about 40 square feet. If you have outside pen they should be fine. You just may have to clean a bit more often.

I have 30 hens and rooster in a 12x12 stall with a 12x12 run and they are doing just fine. I clean and change bedding very week. I have cochins and wyandottes. Hope this helps.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I do agree it depends on the breeds, but you should be okay, but that's the maximum number I would put into it, but you should have a good sized run or some free ranging.

4. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Thank you all so much! They are all standard size actually large size. I'm glad my bantams have their own tiny house :) The breeds are 7 Barred Rocks, 1 silver penciled rock, 1 Golden cuckoo Maran, and 1 suprise breed layer?? ( could be anything??)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  5. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I waited four years , I just wish he would have made it bigger.... but as long as it will do. they have a large run and 10,000 sq feet free range space but I live in the flight line of so many hawks! well we make due with what we can. I think I'm going to expand my run myself. I think I can do it?? Things have been harder lately having kidney disease....

6. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They should be okay, give your birds stuff to hide under for hawks, mine will mostly stick near trees and shrubs. That's a nice mix. I am familiar with chronic health problems, chickens are good for making stuff like that go away for a while, and for making days more enjoyable.

7. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California

isn't that the truth!! if it wasn't for my critters I just don't know how I'd make it. it absolutely gives me something to look foward to and I really enjoy the people/chicken bond!!! I'm doing a bit better although I will need a future transplant. I went from 20% total kidney function to 40% which is a miracle in itself!! although 40% is less than half and so many issues come with failing kidneys! but my little babies make the day a whole lot brighter!! :) just hope they all get along with my new ones! :) so excited they are in the hatchery incubator now! please say a little prayer they make their long trip home alive and well!

8. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I will be wishing good thoughts for both you and your chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by