1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question Please!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Yoko, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Yoko

Yoko Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    SanDiego,California
    I was wondering:When do you start feeding your chicks grit??????I saw this page on a website that you can offer em' sand or canary/parrot grit????im confused,please help me:confused:

2. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

they make chick grit,,, they need it just as bad as grown-ups

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    You start offering grit once your chicks are eating solid foods other than their chick starter. When you start offering treats you should also provide grit.
    For young chickens the parakeet grit sold in the pet dept. at the store is fine. Later when they're older you can switch to the grit sold in pullet sized pieces.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  4. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    You may need to be careful with parakeet grit as much of it is calcium fortified. Chicks should not get calcium till near laying age....

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yes, I forgot to mention that. You want the plain ol' parakeet grit. Not the vitamin and mineral (i.e, calcium) fortified kind.

6. Yoko

Yoko Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    SanDiego,California
    thanks A TON!!!!!! [​IMG]

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Yes, I forgot to mention that. You want the plain ol' parakeet grit. Not the vitamin and mineral (i.e, calcium) fortified kind.

You have been a fount of information lately.... thank you! I never knew that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by