Question: POLISH gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Floc Quebecois, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Floc Quebecois

Floc Quebecois Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Montreal
    Hey everyone!

I've noticed this morning that Paulinsky, our golden laced polish, seems to have new feathers on her tail coming out... And seems like the tips are blue in the sunlight! Is it a clear sign she's a "he" or polish hens also can get colored tail feathers?

I find really hard to sex our chicks since we have a mixed breeds flock: no comparison possible...

Thanks for your help!

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    are the top head feathers pomity or rounded at the ends? if rounded hen if pointy roo pic would help to

3. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I am pretty sure this was a golden laced Polish, excuse me if I'm wrong but here are pictures, see if they look anything like yours:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Turned out to be a male. Of the 3 Polish chicks I bought from the feed store all of them died, including this guy. First one got trampled to death at about a week old, second mysteriously dropped dead and unfortunately for this little fella a raccoon got him. I was an amateur and under the impression a staple gun was a secure enough tool to keep raccoons out. Yeah, no. 4th night out there a raccoon pried the staples out and grabbed him.

4. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    Quote:How old is the bird? Our 17 week old Polish golden laced roo has the iridescent tail feathers. We have pictures of him from the time he was a couple of days old - if you tell me how old yours is, I can post a picture of ours at the same age.

5. Floc Quebecois

Aug 3, 2011
    Montreal
    Quote:How old is the bird? Our 17 week old Polish golden laced roo has the iridescent tail feathers. We have pictures of him from the time he was a couple of days old - if you tell me how old yours is, I can post a picture of ours at the same age.

Sweet!
    She is around 12 weeks...
    I'll try to get some good pics of her and see what you guys think...

6. Floc Quebecois

Aug 3, 2011
    Montreal
    Quote:Yes, he was a golden laced polish...
    Your story is sooooo sad! We found one chick dead one morning... No reason why the poor little thing died but it was a very sad morning!
    As for my Paulinisky, she is way lighter in her colouring then your little guy was...

7. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    My GLP is about 3 months old and is clearly a rooster. He has beautiful golden hackles and longer trailing head feathers, not to mention he tried (rather pitifully) to crow yesterday.

8. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    Here is our GLP at 12 weeks. He rules the roost and has been crowing since he was 8 weeks old. I am also including a picture of Rosie, our wheat pullet at the same age. You can see how much softer Rosie's crest is. I will admit, it is very hard to tell - we also have a white crested black and a splash, both boys, but only one is crowing, and up until 12 weeks, we thought they were girls.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:One thing that really helps in sexing Polish, and I can definitely see in these images, is color.

If the bird is White Crested Blue, Gold or Buff Laced, look on the back or wing shoulders for any little feathers that appear darker, richer, or shinier. Automatic boy.

If the bird is Silver Laced or White Crested Black - Look for any truly shiny feathers there.

The pics I quoted show a gold laced male with obvious deep red feathers just peaking from the back. Those are his saddle feathers coming in. People think saddle feathers on a young male are the pointed ones, no, they're just little babies on the back, but they're easily recognized by their glossiness and color. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  10. Floc Quebecois

Aug 3, 2011
    Montreal
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Well.. I checked his/her back... couldn't find any special feathers...
    Here're some photos..

. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance... This is so helpful... avoiding crowing is a pretty major priority in montreal...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by