1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question Re: livestock auctions...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by arlee453, Jan 8, 2008.

1. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I keep hearing about all y'alls finds at livestock auctions.

Does anyone know of any in the Concord/Charlotte NC area?

Also, how does one sell at an auction. I have a lot of extra roosters that I'm going to try to give away, but if not I would be glad to get them gone at auction...

2. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I don't know where an auction is near you, sorry. You can probably check the phone book.

The way I sell my roos and extra pullets is at an auction. You have to get a seller number at the auction's office. Its free, its just for their paperwork and has your address/contact info filed with it. After you have a seller number you just bring your birds to the auction, tell them your number and your set. At my auction you have to rent cage space (25 cents/cage) and they send you a check in about a week or so. I usually don't get more than 3 dollars per rooster but you can get a little more if you include some info about the breed on the description card on the bird's cage.

3. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    Susan....did you know that you have a duck rescue network in Charlotte? They are looking for homes for not only ducks but, chickens, geese and other poultry just about all the time.
    You only have to contact them and let them know how many you can take. You have to provide a secure enviroment for them and you cannot be in the business of selling them.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Sorry I don't know about auctions in your area either.

At my local auction I just box them up and take them to the auction, sign them in and then they're sold. Some people bring them in cages...I usually just use cardboard boxes with chicken wire attached to the top. That way I don't have to hang around till the end to collect my cages. Never get a whole lot for them, but like Picco said if you include some info on a card attched to the box I usually get a little more for them. Plus at least I'm not having to feed them anymore!!

5. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Thanks, King - I'll keep that in mind... at this point I'm trying to PART with some extra chickens [​IMG]

I'm going to list them here first and if I can't find homes to BYC'rs then I've got to find them homes another way.

I'm leery of craig's list - I would not be comfortable having strangers come to the house, but maybe could meet people part way.

Anyway, that's why I thought an auction might be the way to go to find homes for any extras...I'm not QUITE at the point where I'm ready to let them go yet, but it won't be too many more weeks. I want to get them old enought to make sure I'm letting just the roos go and keeping the girls.

6. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I don't like people knowing where I live either, I always meet them in the supermarket parking lot, its safe and theres enough parking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by