question- re new broody hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenlisa, Jul 27, 2008.

1. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    I have a broody Sumatra hen (1 yr old) who is determined to sit on the nest in the normal egg laying corner. Its the favorite spot for most of my hens. I tried to put her on fake eggs in a fenced off section next to the corner, and she didn't want any part of that I guess. So I put her back in the corner and we just kept taking the eggs they laid there til tonight, when I moved her onto 9 purchased eggs. She's now in a square plastic cat litter container turned on its side and under a big cage-like pen. Its homemade and about 3'X4'. with hardware cloth sides and solid wood ends.I covered the 1 side with a black plastic trashbag taked down so they won't bother her and she won't see all the traffic passing by...I just checked her and she's off the nest already. Should I let her go overnight the way she is and hope she's on the eggs in the morning or put her back in the corner with those 9 eggs under her (and mark them with a dark marker) and leave her there or somehow try to block that corner off? I've tried to do that in the past, but its not easy due to the nest boxes being above it and off center....hard to explain, but however I"ve done it in the past left gaps where other hens got in...AGh...how long will the eggs be ok if she's not on them to keep them warm? Oh the incubator is less ornery...
    Lisa

2. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I feel your pain. I've had several to go broody and lots of times they are stubborn and set only where they want to. If the eggs haven't been incubated,they can go a day or 2. Maybe she will decide to get on them,maybe not. I'd mark them and let her set where she wants to. I love broody hens,but mine have been having lousy hatches this Summer. I have so much more control with the incubater.

3. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    update- she's on the eggs this morning in that kitty litter box...in the dark....stay on there girl! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    Glad to hear it! Maybe now she will stay there!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    She's still on the eggs.... mean and screaching at me too when I peak in on her... [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    ok day 2 and still setting. I just figured out when day 21 will be and I'm going to be out of town that weekend most likely. Why do my chicks end up hatching when I'm out of town? Because I keep going out of town maybe or I keep starting the eggs at the wrong time? Dumb me... [​IMG]
    Lisa
    I'll be happy if they hatch then whether I'm in town or not! Silkies, showgirls, and frizzled cochins.... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by