1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question re: Positioning Eggs for Hatching Before Lockdown

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ejcrist, Nov 17, 2016.

1. ejcrist

ejcrist Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    I'm getting ready to do a test run incubating and hatching eggs in a Sportsman 1502 I just got. I've never hatched eggs before and this is my first test to make sure I have an idea of what I'm doing before I get to serious breeding in the late winter/early spring. I read the instructions that came with the 1502 and I'm also reading the book "Hatching and Brooding Your Own Chicks." I know when you are done incubating and turning the eggs you're supposed to position them in the hatching tray and stop turning, I think it was after day 18. The instructions that came with the incubator say to lay the eggs in the hatching tray in their natural position, but I thought I read somewhere you were supposed to put them in a tray with the pointy side down. So if anyone could help me figure out which way they should be placed in the tray I'd appreciate it. I couldn't find any reference in the Hatching book. Also, shouldn't they be placed so they cannot move? I see how you can do this if they're in a tray but not of they're laying on their side since they can roll. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to get the procedure nailed down in my head now before the clock starts ticking.

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Take the eggs out of the turner tray and lay them in the hatching tray. Yes the eggs will get knocked around by the hatched chicks. That's okay.

3. ejcrist

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    Gotcha. The hatching tray just has a smooth bottom so just lay them on their sides in there, correct?

4. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    You may want to put a paper towel on the bottom of the tray to help with traction. Slick plastic can cause leg injuries.

5. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    And yes, on the sides is fine, with the air cell side up.

6. ejcrist

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    Roger that. The tray that came with the Sportsman is a plastic tray with a smooth bottom but I ordered a better tray that's made out of metal and has a mesh floor - that's the tray I'll use. I'll use the paper towels like you said. I heard that mentioned before as well.

The thought of incubating and hatching really has me fired up. I acquired two nice breeding trios (RIR and Barred Rocks) after many months of searching and will be starting a breeding program for them. I hope I can do a good job. That's why I want to get some practice with a couple of my layer flock hens now. If I'm going to make any mistakes I'd rather do it with them now than with the expensive birds in the spring.

Thanks much for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by