question re: quilting with machine..

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by HennysMom, Dec 4, 2008.

1. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

okay all you quilters..

if I'm going to "stitch the ditch" vs. hand quilt when I go to do my quilt - HOW in the world do you get a queen size quilt into the machine to stitch it?? [​IMG]

I'm looking at my sewing machine (which I'm proud to say I've figured out and dabbled with YEAH ME! [​IMG] so I'm confident I can pick up sewing again, only been 20+ years now..) but I'm still trying to figure out how to get an entire quilt in that sucker to machine quilt it with the batting, topper and backing on it?? [​IMG]

Experts..please apply here: LOL

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    People used to roll them up and clip the roll with bicycle clips. The Stuff and Fluff method is pretty popular now. I really hope someone else comes along to describe this. If they don't, I'll have more coffee and come back to give it a try. [​IMG]

Ok, I'll give this a try, now. You basically do stuff the quilt in there. The rest of the quilt is in your lap and over your shoulder. As you finish an area and move on to the next, you re-adjust the part that's stuffed into the machine and fluff up the part that isn't under the machine, so it doesn't drag. I'm really afraid I'm not describing this well.

Time for [​IMG]

3. HennysMom

Hi Woodland..

so...okay LOL - I just stuff and sew is what you're saying? Hmm....*eyes her sewing machine*

really?! It will all fit in that [​IMG] I'll give it a whirl when its time..but stay close to your computer.. I'm sure I'll be calling for ya'll again [​IMG]

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Stitch in the ditch on the first half then take it out and turn it around and stitch again.

You only have half the width rolled up and feeding through the machine.

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I roll mine as tight as I can and hold the roll with bicycle clips

6. WoodlandWoman

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yes, you start in the middle and work your way out to the edge. Only half has to be stuffed or rolled, at most.

Sure, nothing like forgetting to mention the basics... [​IMG]

If you've never machine quilted before, you might want to make a practice piece. Even a little 12" block of plain fabrics layered with batting works. Or ugly fabric you don't like! It'll give you a chance to get comfortable moving it around and also let you see if you need to make some adjustments to your machine, like increasing the stitch length, to accommodate the thickness of the batting. Do you have a walking foot?

7. HennysMom

Okay so am I going to do like a cross pattern when I quilt it - like a lower case t? is that sufficient enough to keep everything in place? I thought I needed to quilt the entire thing - like what my antique quilts look like (hand quilted) but just do it with a machine - see thats where I'm getting confused.

If I only have to do the middle then across then that shouldnt be a problem....but I'm thinking I have to do the entire top to keep it all from slipping. ??

Whats a walking foot? *okay I am turning like 18 shades of red right now from embarrassment here ladies - sorry* I have a pedal you just step on and it makes the machine go ROFL!!

SORRY... I'm new at this.. *bows down and asks forgiveness to all you guru's* [​IMG]

8. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you looked up quilt as you go? That's another way to do it. You can do most of it on the machine.

I can't imagine cramming a queen through my little Pfaff, but I have access to a large commercial machine with a long arm. That makes it MUCH easier.

PLMK how it works for you!

9. WoodlandWoman

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    A walking foot is a chunky looking foot, that helps push the top fabric along, as the feed dogs are pushing the bottom fabric along. It's a big help to make the quilt layers go through more evenly, with less shifting. It's good to use when you are quilting straight lines.

The other way to machine quilt, is free motion. To do that, you cover or lower your feed dogs and use something like a darning foot. You are the one controlling the direction and movement speed of the quilt, as the needle stitches. That's the way people make feathers, loops, write names or anything else they want to do, including outlining shapes or doing straight lines. It takes a little practice to get the hang of it.

You can also combine the two methods in the same quilt. For either method, you need to baste your quilt layers together before you quilt it. I like to use pins for machine quilting.

As far as the spacing you need between the quilting lines, you should look at the label on your batting. It will tell you how close you need to quilt. Some types of batting need to be quilted more closely and some can have fairly wide spaces between the quilting lines. The label recommendation is the widest spacing you should use. You can quilt closer together, if you want.

Using your batting label as a guide, you can decide how close you need and want to have your criss-cross pattern. Starting out, I think most people do the minimum required to keep the quilt from falling apart. [​IMG]

The whole quilt needs to be quilted, but may not have to be quilted as closely together as some of the quilts you have seen. It just depends on your batting and what you want to do.

10. HennysMom

[​IMG] thank you [​IMG] [​IMG] Woodland for such a detailed explaination, I'm laughing now re: the "walking foot" thing - *duh* Yeah.. I have one of those and a few other "feet" for the machine. [​IMG] if they had a shrinking smilie..I would use it right now!

and [​IMG] [​IMG] to everyone else for helping me to understand as well.

I'm new to this so, I appreciate ya'll not laughing directly TO my face [​IMG] and doing it behind the screen [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by