1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question re. raising quail and releasing in NJ

Discussion in 'Quail' started by chickenlisa, Apr 25, 2008.

1. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    Hi, I've wanted to maybe start a quail project...seeing as Nj wants to tear down all of animals' natural habitat (except where I live-its still green and woodsy here. For now anyways...) I'd like to incubate Bobwhite quail and raise them til adults then release into our woods. Is that legal in NJ-to do without permits or anything?

Also if I incubate a small # of button quail and hatch them, can I keep them as pets in a big rabbit cage or do they need a large pen and coop like chickens and ducks?

Anyone know?
    Thanks
    Lisa
    edited to say- oops, how do I move this to the right spot-like incubating and hatching or somewhere else? I didn't put it in the right section...sorry.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I don't think it's legal but.......

I grew up in Southern NJ and I remember hearing Bobwhites all the time as a kid. I think I was about 17 walking through the graveyard up the hill when I realized I didn't hear them anymore. Was sad

3. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

its best to release them(bobwhite, pheasants) between 6-8 weeks in late spring, early summer, they will do alot better with less human imprint.. it works as i have a bunch that got away on me still around yet [​IMG]

If you cant release. Just make sure they get away from you around the ages above.. [​IMG]

cant help you with the button quail, however i beleive they raise them on 1/4"mesh wire...

Charlie

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  4. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    ok charlie- thanks [​IMG]

Coyote- I know what you mean. i absolutely hate the noise of trucks and traffic, and love the sounds of my ducks and chickens, but I miss the other sounds of wildlife.

Anyone else with any wisdom?
    Lisa

5. RoostersCrow

RoostersCrow Chillin' With My Peeps

You might want to let a few imprint, I mean first thing they ever see is YOU. Then you will have some adorable lap dogs that happen to be quail.

I actuality.. those you release... Don't imprint and don't keep too long or they won't go wild.

6. swiftfoot

swiftfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2007
    Blountville , TN
    i have laying bobwhit trios in interested

7. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I'm getting 12 more tomorrow.They are about 6 weeks old but haven't had much contact. The 4 that I have right now haven't had a lot of contact. They go nuts when I try to clean the brooder!! And boy are they quick!!! Hubby couldn't believe something that little could fly at 3 weeks, lolGoing to retro-fit my "playhouse" coop for them. There wont be as much contact as there is with my chickens. Just going in to change the water and feed them.

There is a wild male out in the woods behind me. He comes in to eat the bird seed and scratch I throw out. I'm hoping to give him a few females to make him happy. H

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  8. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    Coyote-cool! I can't wait to see that myself sometime this spring.
    Swiftfoot-I don't need any eggs just yet. My bators are full, but in a few weeks, I'll need them. It seems like I've already made plans with someone, but at this hour, it escapes me who that is. I'll look back thru my msgs and see what I've got planned for 2 weeks from now-which eggs are coming and from whom.
    Lisa
    Anyone know about the button quail part of my orig post?

9. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    I was thinking of doing the same thing on my property. I know there are some bobwhites out in our yard as I've seen and heard them.

10. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

yes do it, where there arent none, there will be if your persistent..beleive me, i know we gotum here now...always will be for sure......funny when you see them come around the bird feeder in winter and when you see them in the sorgum patches mid-winter that we planted in late summer for them..............its great.....its amazing what can be done in a few simple years of work...wilds in pa are what we like to see....

Charlie

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by