Question re: Silver Spangled Hamburg hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chirpy, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    She's almost six months old and hasn't laid an egg. Her comb and wattle are barely there ... is that normal for that breed?

Anyone with a SSH that does lay eggs? How old was she when she laid her first egg?

Oh, she is the bottom of the pecking order even though she has the best name ... Mrs. Dr. Professor Chirp! (I guess the other girls are jealous of her name.[​IMG].)

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Mine was a few days short of six months, her comb was barely there then grew in and turned red about a week before she first layed.

She's also at the bottom of the 13 hen pecking order.

She will not lay in the coop, everyday she flies over the 6' high fence to lay her egg on the ground in a clump of weeds.

The good news is that she has layed EVERYDAY for 5 weeks now!

Pre laying
    [​IMG]

Laying
    [​IMG]

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Rooster-Red - Thank you, thank you. That really helped me a lot ... especially the pictures. I guess I'd better start watching other places than the nest boxes for eggs huh?

Thankfully she's never flown over our six foot fence, at this point. I'm in the process of putting chicken wire over all the run also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: